Suspect named in double homicide outside fire station
Police have named a suspect in a shooting that took the lives of two Myrtle Beach men Saturday night.
Calvin Derrell Ford, 29, is accused of shooting Dameion Hakeem Alston, 26, and Marquis Jamal Burgess, 27, all of Myrtle Beach after a verbal altercation broke out between Ford and Burgess near the Booker T. Washington neighborhood.
Myrtle Beach firefighters told police they heard gunshots and then pounding on their fire station’s westside door near 1008 Warren Street around 9 p.m. When officers went to investigate they found two men critically injured by apparent gunshot wounds, according to a police report.
Both men were transported to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center where they died of their injuries, according to Horry County Chief Deputy Coroner Tamara Willard.
Alston died at 9:35 p.m. Burgess was pronounced dead at 9:55 p.m.
Witnesses told police Ford and Burgess were arguing when Ford pulled out a gun and began to fire “multiple rounds, striking both victims,” according to arrest warrants. Police were able to pinpoint Burgess and Ford at the scene since the two were each wearing GPS monitoring devices provided by the Horry County Sheriff’s Department at the time and place of the shooting.
Ford was previously convicted of a charge of second-degree violent burglary. He is also facing charges of attempted murder and two weapons offenses from an incident last year. After Saturday’s shooting, Ford now faces two counts of murder, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime and possession of a firearm as a felon. Other charges may be pending.
Ford was arrested at 4:30 p.m. Sunday, without incident, according to Lt. Joey Crosby with the Myrtle Beach Police Department.
Burgess was facing an attempted murder charge and two weapons violations after police say he got into a gunfight with another man at Jimmagan’s Pub, 6003 N. Kings Hwy., on Aug. 5. He was released on bond for the charges last week, according to online court records.
Alston was accused of shooting a man on a bicycle when the cyclist got too close to him and another man who were arguing near Dunbar Street and Graham Avenue Oct. 16. Alston was charged with attempted murder, but that case was dismissed on Feb. 11, according to court records online.
Alston was arrested again in February after being named the lead suspect in two armed robberies in Conway and Myrtle Beach. His charges of kidnapping, burglary, armed robbery and assault were still pending in that case when he was shot Saturday.
Emily Weaver: 843-444-1722, @TSNEmily
This story was originally published July 24, 2016 at 10:19 AM with the headline "Suspect named in double homicide outside fire station."