Crime

Woman left dead in Socastee ditch, now her family faults bar that served alleged killer

The family of a pedestrian left in a Socastee ditch after being killed by an alleged drunken driver is now targeting a local bar.

The representatives for Rachel Ann King, 28, filed a lawsuit against Danny Lee’s Place last week in Horry County court. King was found dead in 2018, and police say she was a pedestrian killed in a traffic collision.

On Aug. 11, 2018, Margaret Burris went to Danny Lee’s Place outside of Myrtle Beach around 11 p.m., according to the lawsuit. There, Burris drank and the bar continued to serve her after she became intoxicated, the filing states.

Burris left the bar and drove herself home, the suit claims. On the way home, she hit King, whose body was thrown into a ditch along Peachtree Road in the Socastee area.

The driver did not stop and Burris didn’t report the crash until a week later, the filing states. Without the report, King’s remains were not found until a week after the collision.

The lawsuit says the bar was negligent for over-serving Burris and that led to King’s death. The filing asks for an unspecified amount of money.

Officials from Danny Lee’s Place could not be immediately reached for comment.

Burris settled a previous lawsuit over the crash for $50,000, according to court records. Burris was not criminally charged in connection to the incident.

Alex Lang
The Sun News
Alex Lang is the True Crime reporter for The Sun News covering the legal system and how crime impacts local residents. He says letting residents know if they are safe is a vital role of a newspaper. Alex has covered crime in Detroit, Iowa, New York City, West Virginia and now Horry County.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER