Crime

Myrtle Beach man accused of murder in shooting that left a 14-year-old dead

A 20-year-old man is accused of murder and faces life in prison in connection to a shooting that left a 14-year-old dead.

Myrtle Beach police announced on Wednesday that they charged Tylor Daniel Deshaun Rogers, of Myrtle Beach, in connection to the Sunday shooting. Officers also charged Rogers with possession of a weapon during a violent crime, auto burglary, possession of a stolen firearm and simple possession of marijuana.

A Myrtle Beach municipal judge declined to set bond on the murder charge, as only a Circuit Court judge can set bail on that count. Since the judge couldn’t set bond on the murder charge, he declined to set bond on the other felony counts as well.

Alex Lang alang@thesunnews.com

The Horry County Coroner’s Office identified Anthony Lemay, 14, as the victim of the Sunday shooting.

Police were initially mum on many details of the shooting, but the warrants detail what happened inside the 65th Avenue apartment around 5:15 p.m., according to authorities. Rogers told police that he stole a handgun from a vehicle earlier in the day, officers say.

Inside the apartment, Rogers told police that he unloaded the weapon “to make it safe,” according to an arrest warrant. He then pointed it at the teen and pulled the trigger, shooting the victim, authorities say.

Lemay was shot once in the chest, the warrants stated.

When police searched the apartment they also found about 6 grams of marijuana, according to the warrants.

This story was originally published February 5, 2020 at 8:47 AM.

Related Stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News
Alex Lang
The Sun News
Alex Lang is the True Crime reporter for The Sun News covering the legal system and how crime impacts local residents. He says letting residents know if they are safe is a vital role of a newspaper. Alex has covered crime in Detroit, Iowa, New York City, West Virginia and now Horry County.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER