Local

Will this Myrtle Beach grill and restaurant re-open in 2025? Here’s what the owners said

The owner of Burky’s Grill in Myrtle Beach, SC, told The Sun News that the eatery will reopen in late April 2025. The eatery was forced to close in 2023 after a fire scorched the building that December. Photo taken April 7, 2025.
The owner of Burky’s Grill in Myrtle Beach, SC, told The Sun News that the eatery will reopen in late April 2025. The eatery was forced to close in 2023 after a fire scorched the building that December. Photo taken April 7, 2025. The Sun News

Until December 2023, many Myrtle Beach visitors made a year-after-year trek to Burky’s Grill for their traditional meal for their ritual summer vacation trip.

A fire that scorched the building halted that in December 2023, and many have wondered if the eatery would ever re-open despite promises to do so. Now, the restaurant owner says the eatery will start serving customers again soon.

Wayne Burkart told The Sun News that Burky’s Grill should re-open in late April 2025. He added he didn’t want to over-promise on an opening date, as some customers grew concerned because the eatery stayed closed for more than a year.

The restaurant also underwent renovations before opening.

Burkart said construction crews redid the roof and tile floors. The booths and seats, red before the fire in 2023, will be green like when the eatery was previously known as G.D. Ritzy’s.

“It’s going to be beautiful,” Burkart said.

The indoor and drive-thru menus are now digital screens, Burky’s will now serve Coke products instead of Pepsi, and the kitchen uses gas instead of electricity to cook. Burkart added gas cooking will speed up the process of making fries, although the eatery will emphasize the quality of food first before the speed of service.

While the furniture and other features will be different, Burkart said some things will remain the same. Three neon signs damaged by the 2023 fire received re-furbishing and will hang in the restaurant again.

Much of the staff will be the same too. Burkart added that 10 employees who worked at Burky’s before the fire closed it will return.

“Getting them back now is a blessing,” he said.

The restaurant is also hiring new staff. Burkart told The Sun News that applicants can apply at the restaurant at 4001 North Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach.

Ben Morse
The Sun News
Ben Morse is the Retail and Leisure Reporter for The Sun News. Morse covers local business and Coastal Carolina University football and was awarded third place in the 2023 South Carolina Press Association News Contest for sports beat reporting and second place for sports video in the all-daily division. Morse previously worked for The Island Packet, covering local government. Morse graduated from American University in 2023 with a Bachelor’s Degree in journalism and economics and is originally from Prospect, Kentucky.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER