Food & Drink

Is Burky’s Grill restaurant in Myrtle Beach for sale? Here’s what the owner had to say.

Burky’s Grill in Myrtle Beach closed in 2023 due to a fire. Owner Wayne Burkart said the restaurant isn’t for sale.
Burky’s Grill in Myrtle Beach closed in 2023 due to a fire. Owner Wayne Burkart said the restaurant isn’t for sale.

Reality Check is a new Sun News series holding those in power accountable, shining a light on local issues, and answering readers’ essential questions. Have a question or concern we can answer? Email online@thesunnews.com.

A popular restaurant is not for sale, despite claims to the contrary made on social media. Meanwhile, the eatery has remained closed since a December 2023 fire forced it to cease operations.

Frequent patrons of Burky’s Grill at 4001 North Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach, about two minutes from the ocean, began speculating about the eatery’s future on social media despite repeated assurances by Wayne Burkart—who has operated the restaurant for 40 years—that the eatery would re-open. However, in a July 23, 2024 interview, Burkart still didn’t have a definitive re-opening date, although his goal is sometime in 2024.

In June 2024, one Facebook user claimed Burky’s was sold; however, Burkart dismissed claims that the business would get sold in a July 23, 2024 interview.

“I believe it’s inaccurate. At this point, Burky’s will be under the same owner and management,” he said.

According to Horry County Land Records, the restaurant property remains owned by the Troy, N.Y.-based firm Adirondack Gardens Apartments LLC, which bought the less-acre property for more than six million dollars in 2017.

While no firm re-opening date has been set, Burkart’s has remained committed to re-opening.

“We’re going to resurrect Burky’s as soon as we can,” he said in a June 2024 interview.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Reality Check

Ben Morse
The Sun News
Ben Morse is the Retail and Leisure Reporter for The Sun News. Morse covers local business and Coastal Carolina University football and was awarded third place in the 2023 South Carolina Press Association News Contest for sports beat reporting and second place for sports video in the all-daily division. Morse previously worked for The Island Packet, covering local government. Morse graduated from American University in 2023 with a Bachelor’s Degree in journalism and economics and is originally from Prospect, Kentucky.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER