A fire closed Burky’s in Myrtle Beach. The restaurant and grill could re-open soon
From 2003 to December 2023, Burky’s Grill served hamburgers, hot dogs and other treats to Myrtle Beach residents just a few minutes from the beach.
A fire forced the restaurant to close in December 2023, and the restaurant remained closed for nearly a year despite initial plans to re-open the eatery soon after. The restaurant could return to the Grand Strand within a couple of months.
Burky’s Grill announced via its Facebook page that it would re-open in January 2025. Restaurant operator Wayne Burkart told The Sun News Monday, Nov. 25, 2024, that the goal for re-opening Burky’s is the first week of January 2025, depending upon approval for plans and permits.
Burky’s first announced its renewed plans to re-open Nov. 20, 2024, via Facebook and said the restaurant received positive customer feedback.
“They just love us, and so I knew it was there, but I didn’t even know how far it reached until people from out of town are telling me, ‘We’re coming in from Ohio, coming in for a golf trip. Thank God you’re going to be open,’” Burkart said. “It just mushroomed. It’s a nice feeling.”
The fire that first closed Burky’s in December 2023 burned much of the building and roof. The fire also damaged much of the 1950s-styled interior decorations. The restaurant previously was G.D. Ritzy’s and operated from 1983 to 2000.