Local

‘Expect a joyful noise’: The Carolina Opry in Myrtle Beach sets reopening date

The Carolina Opry will be back next week.

Calvin Gilmore announced Tuesday that he will reopen the famed theater Sept. 4, just ahead of the Labor Day weekend. The venue has been closed for nearly six months due to a governor’s mandate forcing such venues to close amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“It’s not what we expected our 35th anniversary season to look like,” Gilmore said in a prepared statement. “We have missed our fans, the music, and each other. We are ready to take the stage

“Expect a joyful noise.”

Seating will be limited to meet social distancing measures and masks will be required, a news release states.

The Carolina Opry and Time Warp shows will be performed on a rotated basis through Oct. 26, and The Carolina Opry Christmas Special will begin Nov. 2 as originally scheduled. Prices vary by show. For more information or to reserve seats, call 843-913-4000 or visit TheCarolinaOpryTheater.com.

S.C. Gov. Henry McMaster announced last month sports stadiums, theaters, concert venues and other places that have large gatherings could reopen in South Carolina starting Aug. 3. However, those places, which can often hold hundreds or thousands of people, will have their posted occupancy slashed amid COVID-19.

Under the executive order, McMaster is limiting those places to 250 people or 50 percent of the posted occupancy, whichever is less. And those venues must “require the wearing of masks or face coverings as a condition of admission or participation.”

According to a statement from the governor’s office, the businesses and venues covered under this order include “festivals, parades, concerts, theaters, stadiums, arenas, coliseums, auditoriums, grandstands, amphitheaters, gymnasiums, concert halls, dance halls, performing arts centers, parks, racetracks, or similarly operated entities.”

Other area entertainment venues

Medievel Times, Myrtle Beach: The knights and other actors resumed sword-fighting and jousting for customers Aug. 8.

Alabama Theatre, North Myrtle Beach: The Barefoot Landing venue, which hosts musical performers throughout the year, told The Sun News that as of Tuesday it did not have a reopening date set.

Pirates Voyage, Myrtle Beach: Blackbeard and Co. are set to retake the stage Sept. 4.

House of Blues, North Myrtle Beach: The House of Blues in North Myrtle Beach reopened Monday, July 27.

Legends in Concert: The tribute production venue has not announced a reopening date.

Theater of the Republic, Conway: TOR posted on its Facebook page recently that it does not plan to reopen “until it is safe for all involved” and has decided to wait despite the governor’s proclamation. “We hope you understand our difficult decision.”

Asher Theater, Myrtle Beach: The theater, which features James Stephens III, The Man of A Thousand Voices, has events scheduled through the end of 2020.

Movie theaters: All Horry County movie theaters have either reopened or have announced reopening dates.

David Wetzel
The Sun News
David Wetzel serves in both editor and reporter roles for The Sun News. An award-winning journalist, he has reported on all types of news, sports and features stories in over a decade as a member of the staff. Wetzel has won awards for sports column, feature and headline writing.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER