Ramon Sessions waived by New York Knicks, future in question
Ramon Sessions’ short stay in the Big Apple has come to an end.
The New York Knicks requested waivers on the Myrtle Beach native Saturday to clear a roster spot for former lottery bust and now G League standout Trey Burke.
The New York Knicks announced today that the team has requested waivers on guard Ramon Sessions. pic.twitter.com/fsY4BUABH9
— NY_KnicksPR (@NY_KnicksPR) January 13, 2018
Sessions, in his 11th season in the league, started the first three games of the season but has mostly been out of the rotation since. This year he’s played in 13 games while averaging 3.7 points, 2.1 assists and 1.4 rebounds in 12.8 minutes.
For his career, Sessions has averaged 10.4 points, 4.1 and 2.7 rebounds in 23.5 minutes playing mostly as a reserve.
“We thank Ramon for being a consummate professional and providing this team with veteran leadership,” Knicks General Manager Scott Perry said in a news release. “He is incredibly well respected throughout the organization and we wish him the best moving forward.”
Sessions recently responded to rumors that he was likely to be traded.
“This is my 10th team if you count Milwaukee and Charlotte twice, so I know how it works,” the Myrtle Beach native told The New York Post. “I come in here and do my job, and the rest will take care of itself, man.
“I’ve been in the league since 2007 now. I’ve heard it all. I’ve been traded plenty of times. For me, it’s just like another day, just waking up and doing what I do.”
According to an ESPN report, the Knicks will still have to pay Sessions $300,478, while the NBA will pick up the remaining $857,270 owed from the NBA veteran’s minimum contract he signed last summer. The Philadelphia Inquirer first reported Sessions would be waived, according to ESPN.
The #NewYork #Knicks will request waivers on Ramon Sessions later today, according to a league source. With a guaranteed contract, the reserve PG will continue to get paid the rest of the season. He signed a one-year this offseason. #NBA
— Keith Pompey (@PompeyOnSixers) January 13, 2018
It had earlier been reported this year that Sessions was a favorite to get waived when Joakim Noah came back from his suspension, but instead Mindaugas Kuzminskas got the boot.
Sessions told The Sun News late last year that his diminished role with New York was disappointing.
“It’s a situation that if you came to me early in the summer and been like, ‘you know, you’ve been inactive for so many games, would you take that role?’ I’d have to be honest with myself and say probably not because I feel like in this league I can still play,” Sessions said while in town to hold his annual turkey drive in his hometown neighborhood of Racepath in November. “But it’s a situation that you’re dealt with.”
Now, he’s hoping another NBA team will give him a roster spot.
Would definitely expect several good/playoff contenders to check on Ramon Sessions, waived today by the Knicks. Just 31 with a lot of good basketball left in him.
— David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt) January 13, 2018
“I have years left for sure,” Sessions said in November. “… It’s one of those things that my body, I feel like I’m good to go and I’m ready to play whenever my name is called. … I’ve just got to be ready to go. I know my name will come back around. It always does and just be ready to go.”
David Wetzel: 843-626-0295, @MYBSports
This story was originally published January 13, 2018 at 3:42 PM with the headline "Ramon Sessions waived by New York Knicks, future in question."