Golf

RBC Heritage notebook: Consistent Kuchar ready to defend title

AP

Matt Kuchar has been as predictable as anyone in professional golf for the past several years.

Kuchar entered 119 PGA Tour events in the five seasons from 2010-14, recording 48 top-10 finished and 84 top-25 finishes.

He’s possibly the only player in the world who didn’t endure a slump in that time.

But the results haven’t been there over the past couple months for the defending champion of the RBC Heritage Presented by Boeing.

In typical fashion, Kuchar began the year with five consecutive top 25s, including a runner-up and third. He hasn’t missed a cut in his last six events since the start of February, but he also has just two top-25s and a top finish of 15th.

“It's been a little frustrating the last couple of weeks. It's not been my typical play that I've been used to,” Kuchar said. “I had a couple of practice days this week that were frustrating. I knew I wasn't where I wanted to be, and put in more hours than I was anticipating coming into this week, being my fourth week in a row. But I had a great day today, a great practice session.”

Kuchar said he worked on hitting the ball higher in the hopes of playing well at Augusta and carrying the good play to successive weeks, but his infatuation with high iron shots with more spin for soft landings led to bad habits creeping into his swing.

He’s hoping his return to Harbour Town Golf Links will be a remedy for his game. In addition to his win last year, he has top-15 finishes in 2005, ’08 and ’10 in 11 appearances.

“I'm excited to compete and certainly to play here at Harbour Town, and hope that the excitement that I found in my swing, as well as the excitement of playing this golf course and having the good memories come back, I’ll put on a good show and try to defend,” Kuchar said.

Kuchar, 36, finished one shot ahead of Luke Donald last year for his seventh career PGA Tour win by holing out a bunker shot for birdie on the 18th hole. It followed a three-putt from just a few feet on the par-3 17th. He went from needing to get up and down on 18 to get into a playoff to unexpectedly winning, and he’s seen the replay of the bunker shot numerous times.

“It was a magical shot,” Kuchar said. “I kind of laugh at the emotion that came out of it. Normally I don't get that excited, pumped up on a golf course. But I can clearly remember having been close for three straight weeks, having played a great round up until the 17th, where I had a great shot and three-putted from about 5 feet, and then to have things flip back and have the bunker shot fall into the hole on 18 was just an awesome kind of outpouring of emotion, whether it was relief, excitement, joy, everything coming out at one time for me.”

He thoroughly enjoyed the opening ceremonies on Monday that included a parade and annual tee shot into Calibogue Sound simultaneous with a cannon blast.

“It was super cool to be a part of,” Kuchar said. “I really enjoyed the whole parade. I had my kids with me, did the parade, watched the color guard, the drummers, the bagpipers, it was fun to be a part of. And get the official tartan jacket, and hit the shot with the cannon was a cool way to kick start the week. That cannon is just incredibly impressive, amazingly loud. It was a fun way for me to get the week started.”

Kuchar looks to continue a 21-year streak of defending champions making the cut since Davis Love III missed the cut in 1993.

Wednesday warrior

Kevin Streelman has the Wednesday pre-tournament rounds down.

Last week, Streelman won the annual Par 3 Contest on the eve of the opening round of the Masters. On Wednesday, Streelman shot a 7-under 64 on his own ball to help his team share low score honors at 55 in the RBC Heritage Pro-Am. Luke Donald led the pros with a 63, and only half the field finished the round before heavy thunderstorms ended play.

Streelman tied for 12th in the Masters, and hopes to again carry his play Wednesday over to the opening round.

“My game felt great last week. I hit it amazingly well, I hit it where you need to around Augusta, and if you can do it there, you can do it anywhere,” Streelman said. “… Coming in here I played great today. I feel confident in my game.”

Streelman’s Par 3 Contest win was special because of what it meant to 14-year-old Ethan Couch of Alberta, Canada. Couch has an inoperable brain tumor and expressed a desire to attend the Masters. Streelman learned of Couch through the Make-A-Wish Foundation and asked Couch if he would caddie for him in the Par 3, which he did. Streelman won in a playoff over Camilo Villegas.

“I couldn't miss a putt,” Streelman said. “Me and Mike Tirico [of ESPN] were both in tears as they were giving us the trophy. It was not about me or not about winning crystal or anything. It was about Ethan and sharing that day for him. It was one of those experiences that was one of the cooler days in my life.”

Streelman is 31st in FedExCup points this season and has made four cuts in six visits to Harbour Town, with a tie for third in 2013 and tie for 17th in 2012.

On the tube

Golf Channel will broadcast the first two rounds Thursday and Friday from 3-6 p.m., with Brian Hammons doing the play-by-play and Curt Byrum as the analyst. It will replay the broadcasts from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. both days.

Golf Channel will also broadcast live from 1-2:30 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday in advance of CBS’s weekend coverage from 3-6 p.m. both days.

Jim Nantz and Nick Faldo will announce the action with David Feherty, Peter Kostis, Ian Baker-Finch and Gary McCord also reporting on the action. CBS Sports’ coverage is also streamed live on CBSSports.com and PGATour.com and through the CBS Sports app for the iPhone, iPad and Android.

Parking changes

The Heritage has a new parking plan. All general spectators can park for free at the Coastal Discovery Museum at Honey Horn, 70 Honey Horn Drive on the north end of Hilton Head Island.

There will be no general spectator parking inside Sea Pines Resort. Motor coach shuttle service to and from Harbour Town will be offered continuously beginning at 6 a.m. and ending one hour after play ends.

Once the shuttles stop a van service will be provided for $10 per passenger from Harbour Town to the spectator lots. Spectators can call 843-681-6602 to check on the service.

Contact ALAN BLONDIN at 626-0284 or on Twitter @alanblondin, or read his blog Green Reading at myrtlebeachonline.com

This story was originally published April 15, 2015 at 10:08 PM with the headline "RBC Heritage notebook: Consistent Kuchar ready to defend title."

Related Stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER