Former CEO of Boys & Girls Club of Grand Strand under police investigation
The former head of the Boys & Girls Club of the Grand Strand is facing an active police investigation related to her work at the nonprofit, according to police.
Kim Hardee, the organization’s board chair, told The Sun News that former CEO Dione Buonto was “let go” Jan. 21 after “some discrepancies” were discovered, and the organization took the information it found to Myrtle Beach Police Department, which she believes is actively working on a case.
Hardee said she couldn’t provide any additional details at this time. MBPD spokesman Tom Vest confirmed the active investigation.
Attempts to reach Buonto were unsuccessful. She worked at the Boys and Girls Club since 2013 and served as its chief officer since at least 2016, according to Hardee, who added that they’re preparing to conduct a nationwide search for a replacement. Board member Sharon Clayton is currently serving as interim CEO.
In its 2018 nonprofit tax filing, the most recent one available for inspection, the organization reported nearly $970,000 in revenue and about $548,000 in expenses, with Buonto earning nearly $89,000.
Hardee added that the issue with Buonto will not impact their plans to move into their new building in the near future.
The new two-story, 16,000-square-foot building, located at Dunbar Street and Mr. Joe White Avenue in Myrtle Beach, was designed to encompass approximately 400 kids, about 150 more than the previous location.
The center was previously scheduled to open earlier this week, but there’s still some work left to do on the building, Hardee said, and the new target date is the end of June, depending on what happens with the coronavirus pandemic.
Burroughs & Chapin donated the land where the building is located, and donations from the Chapin Foundation and former NBA player and Myrtle Beach High alum Ramon Sessions have helped fund construction.
This story was originally published April 22, 2020 at 10:12 AM.