Conway

Conway sports center cancels summer program after employee test positive for coronavirus

Because an employee of the Conway Sports and Fitness Center tested positive for COVID-19, the center has canceled its summer day program indefinitely.

The employee may have been in contact with counselors for the summer day camp program last week, the City of Conway Parks and Recreation department announced on Wednesday evening, so it is canceling the program “out of an abundance of caution.”

“We are canceling our summer day for the foreseeable future with the hopes of resuming it at a later date in the summer,” the City of Conway said in a release.

Staff members were in the process of contacting all participants of the camp on Wednesday.

The city stated that the employee did not experience coronavirus symptoms while at the center, and was also never in direct contact with any of the participants of the camp.

Since the Conway Sports and Fitness center reopened following a shutdown due to COVID-19, the center is cleaned prior to opening each day and has closed each day from noon to 1 p.m. for a cleaning and sanitizing of the equipment, the city said. That practice will remain in place.

On May 31, Horry County Parks and Recreation announced that it canceled all summer camps, which were scheduled to begin on June 1, after staff members were exposed to a person who tested positive for the coronavirus.

Local municipalities had laid out plans on how they would handle summer camps. Many of those are expected to go on as scheduled.

This story was originally published June 10, 2020 at 7:25 PM.

Alan Blondin
The Sun News
Alan Blondin covers golf, Coastal Carolina University athletics, business, and numerous other sports-related topics that warrant coverage. Well-versed in all things Myrtle Beach, Horry County and the Grand Strand, the 1992 Northeastern University journalism school valedictorian has been a reporter at The Sun News since 1993 after working at papers in Texas and Massachusetts. He has earned eight top-10 Associated Press Sports Editors national writing awards and more than 20 top-three S.C. Press Association writing awards since 2007.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER