Local

Local eateries giving aid, meals to Horry County residents losing SNAP benefits

Gringo Ninja and owner Ricky Lang is one of several eateries in the Myrtle Beach area that is providing aid to people who may lose their SNAP benefits Nov. 1, 2025, because of the government shut down.  Aug. 10, 2022.
Gringo Ninja and owner Ricky Lang is one of several eateries in the Myrtle Beach area that is providing aid to people who may lose their SNAP benefits Nov. 1, 2025, because of the government shut down. Aug. 10, 2022. JASON LEE

As the U.S. government shutdown nears the one-month mark, several Myrtle Beach area businesses are stepping up to provide assistance to SNAP recipients whose benefits are set to run out on Nov. 1.

Sweet Girlz Bakery and Café, located at 4007 Highway 17 South in North Myrtle Beach, and GringoNinja, a private chef service that operates locally and in four other states, have both announced that they will provide food aid to those in need.

As funding for SNAP recipients is in jeopardy across the nation, both businesses say that community aid is the simplest fix amid national tensions.

North Myrtle Beach bakery providing free meals to SNAP cardholders

Vicki and Kari Alvaro, the owners of Sweet Girlz, know what it’s like to go hungry, and they hope to prevent others from feeling that hunger.

Growing up, Vicki Alvaro said she and her wife were both “food deprived,” an experience that has added fuel to their mission to help the community.

“We’ve always been about community,” Alvaro said, explaining that local philanthropy is nothing new to Sweet Girlz.

At their other bakery location in Pennsylvania, Alvaro said proceeds are donated to local women’s shelters. At their North Myrtle Beach location, they have been operating a food aid program where people experiencing homelessness or hunger can come into the café and take food from their wall of free meals. Community members can donate food to be placed on the wall for those in need, Alvaro said.

Now, when Nov. 1 rolls around, if SNAP benefits are not dispersed, Sweet Girlz will allow community members to come in and receive one free meal per week, just by showing their SNAP cards.

The bakery will also be accepting monetary and food donations from community members who have the means to help, starting on Nov. 1. There will also be a pantry box set up for donations of non-perishable food items.

“It’s an easy fix,” Alvaro said of using the business to help community members — but the more people who help out, the easier it gets.

Sweet Girlz posted on Facebook inviting other businesses to join in their efforts, offering to help promote their similar initiatives. However, Alvaro said that after passing out flyers and attempting to garner interest, they haven’t had any takers.

“We’ll do it alone if we have to,” Alvaro said.

Myrtle Beach area chef service sending groceries to families in need

Like Sweet Girls, community support isn’t a new endeavor for GringoNinja.

“We always try to give back to the community, however we can,” Ricky Lang, the owner of the private chef service, said.

The chef service already operates a nonprofit, raising funds through cooking classes and occasional galas to provide free, privately-cooked meals to people. For example, on Nov. 9, GringoNinja is partnering with Calli Baker’s Firehouse to provide free meals to those who have been impacted by breast cancer.

After the breast cancer awareness event was finalized, Lang was looking for new ways to give back. It was his wife who suggested providing aid to those at risk of losing their SNAP benefits, he said.

GringoNinja posted on Facebook inviting people in need to reach out for help, and the response was quick, according to Lang.

“So many people reached out,” Lang said. “It’s been pretty eye-opening the number of people it’s affecting.”

GringoNinja has been sending free groceries directly to families in need. They have helped about 10 families so far, sending each one roughly $100 worth of groceries, Lang said.

Online group of Myrtle Beach foodies offering food assistance

The popular Facebook group Myrtle Beach Foodies, with more than 50,000 members, is also coming together to provide aid to those at risk of going hungry.

An administrator of the group posted on Tuesday, encouraging those who need help to reach out to the group’s operators, who can get them in touch with someone in their vast foodie network who can help.

Commenters on the post have shared local resources, offered to buy groceries and more.

If you are a restaurant or business offering free meals for those who may lose their SNAP benefits, please reach out to sneditors@thesunnews.com for possible addition to the story.

This story was originally published October 29, 2025 at 11:57 AM.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Stories shared from The Sun News’ Instagram account

Alexa Lewis
The Sun News
Alexa Lewis is a former journalist for The Sun News
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER