Coronavirus

Myrtle Beach homeless shelters face shortages as coronavirus presents unique challenge

Note: The Sun News and McClatchy news sites have lifted the paywall on our websites for coverage of the COVID-19 coronavirus, ensuring our readers can make critical decisions for themselves and their families. Please consider a digital subscription to continue supporting vital reporting like this. For more coverage, subscribe to our daily coronavirus newsletter at myrtlebeachonline.com/coronavirusnews.

Health and government officials are encouraging people and businesses to avoid large gatherings to limit the spread of coronavirus, but for local organizations helping the homeless, following those directives aren’t feasible.

New Directions of Horry County offers shelter for up to 170 people at its transitional living facilities, including 90 in the men’s shelter alone, and they’re determined to stay open under all circumstances, according to Executive Director Kathy Jenkins.

Jenkins noted the nonprofit has dealt with other disasters, including hurricanes, but this presents an entirely new challenge, and her team is rapidly working to plan for every possible scenario.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have sent out guidelines to organizations that aid the homeless population to create plans for preparation, mitigation and response.

The CDC’s guidelines specifically for shelters includes offering face masks to sick residents and isolating them within the shelter if possible, and telling clients staying in close quarters to sleep head-to-toe.

Jenkins said they are trying to follow all the guidelines, and they have designated certain areas within each shelter to isolate sick clients as needed, but they don’t currently have enough face masks and haven’t been able to find a way to obtain more.

Diminished supplies on items including face masks, hand sanitizer and food are quickly becoming an issue for every local homelessness organization.

Sean Mazur, executive director of Community Kitchen on Myrtle Beach, said the panic at the grocery stores has left them with less food donations. They have a decent back stock currently, but it could start to become an issue within the next couple weeks, he said.

The food kitchen has been trying to limit the number of people in the dining room at a time by implementing an eat-and-go policy, Mazur said, and they’re planning to go to a take-out system only Wednesday. Hours will remain the same with breakfast served 7:30-9 a.m. and lunch 11 a.m.-1 p.m.

JOSH BELL jbell@thesunnews.com

Joey Smoak, executive director of Eastern Carolina Homelessness Organization, said they also don’t have enough face masks or hand sanitizer to give to the unsheltered homeless population, which accounts for more than 75 percent of the nearly 800 people facing homelessness in Horry County, according to the 2019 count.

A Myrtle Beach spokesman did not respond to an email seeking information about any potential increase in outreach related to the virus.

ECHO is moving intake services to phone calls only, Smoak said, and further restrictions may be coming in the future.

The CDC also advised homeless organizations to prepare for a reduction in the availability of volunteers and employees, who may have to quarantine. Jenkins and Mazur both said they’ve advised older volunteers to stay home, but others have stepped up in there place so far.

Jenkins said their shelters have already implemented additional cleanliness guidelines, increased disinfection procedures and encouraged clients to let them know if they feel any COVID-19 symptoms — which include shortness of breath, coughing and fever — while also trying to keep everyone calm. No one at the shelters has had to get tested yet, she said.

“We’re going to do the best we can,” Jenkins said.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Coronavirus in South Carolina

David Weissman
The Sun News
Investigative projects reporter David Weissman joined The Sun News in 2018 after three years working at The York Dispatch in Pennsylvania, and he’s earned South Carolina Press Association and Keystone Media awards for his investigative reports on topics including health, business, politics and education. He graduated from University of Richmond in 2014.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER