▪ The first Popeyes on the Grand Strand is finally open and has already been gathering plenty of traffic. Located at 5910 South Kings Highway near the S.C. 544 junction, this fast food giant has been a long time coming.
Fried chicken isn’t hard to find in the Grand Strand, but Popeyes is a specific kind of southern goodness with origins in the suburbs of New Orleans. Of course there’s more than just chicken, with other menu favorites being jambalaya, red beans and rice, and fried shrimp.
To get some of this Cajun goodness, visit the Grand Strand’s first Popeyes between their daily hours of 10a.m. to 10p.m., though Fridays and Saturdays see their drive-thru open until midnight. You can also call at 843-839-0050 to talk to an employee.
▪ Anthony’s Pizza and Pan Pasta on Glenns Bay Road celebrated their grand reopening on the first of this month. The restaurant is under new ownership with the hopes of getting a fresh start along with the original Anthony back in the kitchen.
The name says it all, with Anthony’s specializing in pizza and pan pasta. Both main meals can be chosen from a list of specialties or created to the customer’s preference. Anthony’s also serves salads and subs, not to mention appetizers and wings. There is some outdoor seating as well, though the restaurant remains staunchly smoke-free.
With their reopening, Anthony’s plans on starting delivery services back up and keeping the same hours. From Monday to Thursday, they open at 11 in the morning to close at 10 p.m., and Fridays and Saturdays see them open until 11 at night. Sunday night, they close early, at 8p.m. Anthony’s is a call away at 843-215-7555, and more information about this long time local jaunt is on their website, anthonyspizzaandpanpasta.com.
▪ In the Big Block Junction off S.C. 544, Dick Divitz Tap Room has completed renovations and opened their doors to welcome guests. This new addition brings some style to the business strip without being presumptuous.
The newly redone interior is a nice change from previous tenants, and their menu has a good selection of appetizers and meals. There are of course plenty of beers on tap and bottled, as well as signature cocktails and some wines to choose from. The prices are pretty impressive as well, so no doubt locals will take advantage of this new restaurant.
Dick Divitz has an unofficial Facebook page under their name, but can still be reached at 843-668-2411. Every day except Sunday, the taproom opens at 11a.m. and will stay open as long as they need to if the party is still going strong.
▪ Anchor Café is back open for the season and no doubt the docks will fill up soon. This watering hole has been a favorite for locals and tourists alike for a decade now, due in part to its fantastic and convenient location on the Marina.
This bar has some great food and even better drinks, which many take advantage of during their Happy Hour, which is only 4p.m. to 6p.m. Their spring hours will see them open at 4p.m. on the weekdays and close at 9p.m., though the bar remains open as business dictates. On the weekends the only difference in hours is when they open at 11a.m. The hours will remain this way until Memorial Weekend.
Anchor Café can be reached at 843-315-7855. To get to this lovely restaurant on the water, drive to the Grand Dunes and stop by 8205 Marina Parkway. Or you could simply sail up the waterway and dock your boat.
▪ Hwy 55 in Conway also opened their fourth location in the Grand Strand on March 21. This burger joint is known for its 50s retro vibe and great food, so no doubt the new addition in Conway will fit right in. They aren’t just known for burgers, but shakes as well, plus plenty of other options like sandwiches and platters.
Plus, not only is the new restaurant owned by a local franchisee, 10% of sales in their first three days were donated to the United Way of Horry County. Already Conway’s new Hwy 55 is on its way to upholding the franchise’s reputation of supporting their local communities.
Situated at 2246 S.C. 501, the fourth Hwy 55 can be reached at 843-347-7400, and guests are always welcome to explore the company’s website, hwy55.com. Every day, this restaurant will open at 11a.m. and close at 9p.m. except for Fridays and Saturdays, when they stay open until 10p.m.