High School Football

Conway’s Edwards invited to U.S. Army All-American Bowl


Conway’s Bryan Edwards is swarmed by Myrtle Beach defenders during Friday night’s game.
Conway’s Bryan Edwards is swarmed by Myrtle Beach defenders during Friday night’s game. jlee@thesunnews.com

Bryan Edwards said last week that finishing his high school career with the best players in South Carolina was a significant honor.

Turns out, he may up wrapping it up among some of the best in the country.

On Wednesday, the Conway receiver was invited to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, to be played Saturday, Jan. 9 at the Alamodome in San Antonio. The annual event is a showcase of the biggest names in the United States, and it is typically considered one of the best, if not the best, high school national all-star games.

Only 90 players from across the country are ultimately selected. Edwards was selected to the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas last week.

“It means a lot,” Edwards said. “I really didn’t expect to get the call. When I got it, it’s a real blessing.”

Edwards has not officially accepted the invitation yet. He said he has to talk it over wth his family and determine a course of action that includes his college choice.

Edwards, who remains verbally committed to South Carolina despite Steve Spurrier’s resignation earlier this week, intends to graduate early from Conway and enroll early in college. That means a span of about three weeks in December and January will include the two all-star events and a small graduation ceremony.

Either way, he’s earned quite the notoriety in the past few months and even years.

So far this season, Edwards has 41 receptions for 873 yards and eight touchdowns. He’s already amassed 176 catches for 2,466 yards and 31 touchdowns in his three-plus season career with the Tigers.

Conway coach Chuck Jordan had filled out the formal application earlier this year, and after his recent tear during his senior season, he got the invitation.

“I didn’t know if it was going to materialize or not,” Jordan said. “It’s a big goal of Bryan’s. He was very surprised and pleased. I don’t know how good he’s got to be, but he’s going to hold his own in that game.

“This kid’s still 16 years old. That’s what people don’t understand. He’s still a pup. … He’s got a lot of football ahead of him.”

Edwards would be just the third player from the Grand Strand to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in the event’s 16 years. Former Conway receiver Eric Huggins participated in the game in 2005, and Carvers Bay’s Clifton Geathers did the same in 2006.

So far this year, three in-state players have already accepted invites. They include Spartanburg running back Tavien Feaster, Goose Creek offensive lineman Javon Kinlaw and Fort Dorchester lineman John Simpson.

There are currently 13 receivers who have accepted.

The U.S. Army All-American Bowl boasts one of the best success rates for its alumni. Of the players who have been selected, 299 have been drafted, according to the organization’s web site. Of those 73 were first-round picks, and there have been 95 Pro Bowl selections.

This story was originally published October 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM with the headline "Conway’s Edwards invited to U.S. Army All-American Bowl."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER