High School Football

St. James shuts down Wilson to move to 1-1 in region play


Robby Brown’s Sharks are 1-1 in Region VII-AAA play.
Robby Brown’s Sharks are 1-1 in Region VII-AAA play. cslate@thesunnews.com

Robby Brown and his kids are savoring this one.

Following a 31-8 win over Wilson on Saturday, the St. James coach said he was simply happy to get a win in what is shaping up to be an ultra-competitive Region VII-AAA.

“We’re going to celebrate this one right now. I’m pleased right now just to get a win,” Brown said. “It gives the kids a little more hope. It’s not going to get any easier. Every week is tough. You kind of look at our region and it looks like everybody is even across the board. No one team is standing out. It’s going to be tough. It’s just nice to get a win and get closer to the playoffs.”

Jay-Mion Pressley ran for a pair of scores and Sage Pascoe and Jamarius Faulkner each caught touchdown passes from Zach Werba, which was plenty of offense as the Sharks’ defense nearly shut out the Tigers (3-4, 0-2 Region VII-AAA). Aside from a late touchdown when the game was well out of reach, Wilson was shut down.

“Defensively, we played real well,” Brown said. “Just to shut out Wilson – which is really what we did because they scored real late – (is impressive). They played lights out. They played awesome.”

It was a nice bounce-back win for St. James (4-3, 1-1), which was coming off a 28-21 loss to Georgetown.

“It was a big win for us to get one in the region this early after losing to Georgetown last week in a close one,” Brown said. “It was definitely big for us. We played good and hopefully it will give us some momentum. Hopefully we’ll have a dry week of practice and we can get ready for Myrtle Beach.”

The Seahawks rallied to beat Lake City in double overtime after being down by 20 points Saturday to improve to 2-0 in region play.

“They’re good. Mickey Wilson does a great job. They’ve got the two good athletes in the backfield,” Brown said in reference to Myrtle Beach quarterback Drayton Arnold and Brandon Sinclair, who are both committed to play at Old Dominion. “We’ll have our hands full. Every week in this region is tough. Hopefully we can keep it close and have a chance.”

This story was originally published October 10, 2015 at 5:49 PM with the headline "St. James shuts down Wilson to move to 1-1 in region play."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER