High School Football

Prep notebook: SCHSL ruling to hamper football growth at smaller schools


Green Sea Floyds coach Tony Sullivan will be entering his fourth season with the team this fall.
Green Sea Floyds coach Tony Sullivan will be entering his fourth season with the team this fall. cslate@thesunnews.com

Green Sea Floyds Athletics Director Jason Cox isn’t worried that a new South Carolina High School League ruling is going to destroy his football program.

But it could delay its growth.

Last week – among decisions to move the state to a five-class system and tabling discussion of bumping up private schools – the SCHSL Executive Committee also eliminated the practice of high schools using what is known as eight-quarter players. Essentially, schools could have age-eligible players participate in both junior varsity and varsity games each week as a way to create depth on the varsity while providing ample playing time on junior varsity.

Many states had already outlawed the practice, citing extensive contact and health concerns. In North Carolina, for instance, 12 eight-quarter players in each program are available to do just that – play eight varsity quarters – before coaches must distinguish which team a player is on for the duration of the season.

In South Carolina, however, the practice was essentially open. With the rule changed beginning for the 2015 season, coaches and athletics directors from the smallest schools around the state have said publicly their teams are in danger, be it at the varsity or junior varsity levels.

But for Green Sea Floyds (and many of the teams in its region and surrounding area), that won’t be the case. The Trojans have been using a hybrid sub-varsity model that merged junior varsity and B-team players. The school allowed those in grades seventh through ninth to play on it, and competed against similarly built teams from this part of the state.

Cox said he was hoping to change that this fall or next.

“We were looking at doing three teams,” Cox said, referring to the addition of a true junior varsity squad. “With the eight-quarter rule, we can’t do that. I’m sure it’s going to change for a lot of teams.”

Last season, Green Sea Floyds had its third winless season in school history. However, participation numbers at the varsity level have increased steadily under Tony Sullivan, the school’s sixth coach since the start of the 2000 season.

Sullivan will be in his fourth year this fall, tying him for the third-longest tenure in school history.

It’s helped stabilize the program, even if wins haven’t been abundant.

During the 2014 season, the Trojans had a varsity roster of 31 players, and very little of that had much to do with eight-quarter players. Cox estimated that only five or six sub-varsity players were usually suited up on Friday nights, and seldom did any of them play more than a handful of snaps.

In time, Cox said the participation levels will allow the school to reach its intended goal, the new eight-quarter rule notwithstanding.

“We’re still growing the program,” he said. “We’re going to try to get that third program in the future.”

Four locals selected to North-South soccer rosters

Four area soccer players were named to the North-South All-Star Soccer rosters released Sunday.

Myrtle Beach’s Brandon Harrington, St. James’ Joey Simpson and Waccamaw’s Todd Mauney were selected for the boys South team, while Waccamaw’s Lydia Krask was named to the girls South roster.

The all-star event will be played June 13 at College of Charleston.

Those four joined fellow all-star participant St. James forward Quadarius Grate, the lone local selection for the Clash of the Carolinas game. That event takes place June 27 on Daniel Island.

State soccer rankings

Heading into the final week of the regular season, seven area soccer teams were ranked in the South Carolina High School Soccer Coaches Association statewide polls.

The list includes both the boys and girls teams at Socastee, Myrtle Beach and Waccamaw.

On the girls side, Socastee is No. 14 in Class AAAA. Myrtle Beach is No. 5 in Class AAA, and Waccamaw is No. 6 in Class AA.

The Socastee boys are No. 9 in Class AAAA. The St. James boys – with the highest rank of any area team – are No. 2 in Class AAA, with region foe Myrtle Beach sitting at No. 7. The Waccamaw boys are No. 3 in Class AA.

After several crucial regular-season matchups this week, the state playoffs begin next Monday and Tuesday.

College signings

Two of Aynor’s most influential athletes from the Class of 2015 will each sign with Methodist University in Fayetteville, N.C., on Tuesday.

Kamron Johnson will commit to the Monarchs for football, while Zack Jenerette will sign for basketball.

Johnson finished fourth in the area in rushing in 2014 while going for 1,173 yards. He helped the Blue Jackets to the Class AA, Division I playoffs, where they lost in the first round to eventual state champion Dillon. He’ll be the third area player to commit to Methodist this year, joining high school teammate Andrew Lovell and Waccamaw lineman Luke Odom.

Jenerette, who also started on the offensive line in football, was part of the Aynor basketball program that qualified for the playoffs for the first time since 1983. He averaged better than 11 points and three assists per game.

The two will have a ceremony at the high school at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Myrtle Beach pitcher Praise Thorsen signed with NCAA Division II Lander last Thursday, according to coach Tim Christy.

Thorsen, the Seahawks’ top pitcher, has allowed just two earned runs in 43 innings on the mound this year. Myrtle Beach won the Region VII-AAA title and will be a No. 1 seed in the playoffs.

The Seahawks will host Aiken on Friday to open the postseason.

Contact IAN GUERIN at ian@ianguerin.com.

This story was originally published April 27, 2015 at 5:28 PM with the headline "Prep notebook: SCHSL ruling to hamper football growth at smaller schools."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER