▪ Aynor 12, Lee Central 1 | So much for playoff jitters.
Aynor scored five runs in the first inning, never letting Lee Central off the mat en route to a 12-1 win in its playoff opener Thursday night.
In addition to a solid night at the plate, Blue Jackets starter Walt Richardson was nearly unhittable, allowing only one hit.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sun News
“Most importantly, we got off to a good start in the playoffs, and stayed in the winner’s bracket,” said Aynor baseball coach Chad Sarvis. “We had good approaches at the plate, and our offense offered timely hitting. We couldn’t have asked for a better way to start the playoffs.”
Aynor will host Edisto on Saturday, with first pitch at noon.
▪ W: Walt Richardson L: R. Wilson Top hitters: AYN: Luke Martin 2-for-3; Walt Richardson 2-for-2; .
▪ Records: AYN: 16-4.
▪ East Clarendon 3, Green Sea Floyds 1 | Two runs in the third proved to be the difference for East Clarendon on Thursday night, pulling out a hard-fought playoff opener against Green Sea Floyds.
The Trojans will host Bethune-Bowman on Saturday in an elimination game.
▪ W: William Ard L: Cameron Barnhill Top hitters: GSF: Muhammad Graham 1-for-3; Jacob Green 1-for-3; Storm Harrelson 1-for-3, R. EC: William Ard 2-for-2, BB.
▪ Records: GSF 7-10.
TRACK AND FIELD
▪ Jackson Junkins’s star shone bright Thursday night at the Region VIII-AA track meet, winning three events and helping Waccamaw to a league championship. The Warriors also took home wins in the 1,600-meter relay and the 3,200-meter relay. Loris also had a strong showing in finishing second.
▪ Team scores: Waccamaw 163, Loris 150, Marion 101, Dillon 67, Aynor 42, Mullins 5.
▪ 400m relay: Loris, 43.27 sec.; 1,600m relay: Waccamaw 3:32; 3,200m relay: Waccamaw 9:06; 100m: D. Dozier (LOR), 10.47 sec.; 110m hurdles: H. Jackson (LOR) 15.95 sec.; 200m: J. Junkins (WAC) 21.78 sec.; 400m: J. Junkins 49.93 sec.; 400m hurdles: K. Gailger (LOR) 1:01.47; 800m: J. O’ Neil (AYN) 2:05.4; 1,600m: O’Neil 4:47; 3,200m: O’Neil 11:00; Long jump: M Hrun (MAR) 21 feet, 1 inch; Pole vault: Junkins 11 feet; Triple jump: M. Bryant (MAR) 42 feet, 2 inches; High jump: Bryant 6 feet; Discus: D. Jackson (LOR) 127 feet, 9 inches; Shot put: Jackson 47 feet, 6 inches.
▪ Johnsonville 15, Waccamaw 0 | The Warriors were unable to get anything going, falling in their playoff opener.
▪ Aynor 4, Timberland 2 | The Blue Jackets received all they wanted and more Thursday night against Timberland, but was able to find a way to victory in their opening round playoff matchup.
Down in the fourth inning, Aynor scored three runs to pull ahead for good.
“Though they’re a No. 3-seed, Timberland has a lot of juniors and seniors and played a very difficult schedule,” said Aynor softball coach Tony Mills. “It was a good back and forth battle, and we didn’t hit the ball as well as we could and when we did, it was hit right at someone. But we did enough to win and advance.
Aynor will now travel to Barnwell on Saturday. First pitch is at 2:30 p.m.
▪ W: Brooke Elliott (6-2) L: Winningham Top hitters: TIM: Prince 2-for-4; Bradley 1-for-4; Bennett 1-for-3. AYN: Felicia Tracy: 2-for-3, HR, RBI; Jessie Johnson 1-for-3, 2 RBI; Morgan Richardson 2-for-3, RBI
▪ Records: AYN: 14-2.