High School Sports

Extended football season presents challenge to area hoops coaches

North Myrtle Beach’s Travis Collins fires up a shot against Carolina Forest in last week’s game.
North Myrtle Beach’s Travis Collins fires up a shot against Carolina Forest in last week’s game. jlee@thesunnews

Most has gotten back to normal since Hurricane Matthew, downed trees and raised stumps the most prominent reminders of the tropical cyclone’s brief — yet destructive — time on the Grand Strand.

Yet, long after flood waters had receded and power restored, a host of area boys basketball coaches were still seeking to get back into a routine with their teams.

Though accustomed to waiting for some of their players to transition from cleats to sneakers – gridiron to the hardwood – this season has offered them a different challenge.

Due to two weeks being washed out as a result of the storm, the South Carolina High School League (SCHSL) extended the gridiron season in an effort to play games postponed. As a result, it meant that much longer boys hoops coaches would be without their full squad available.

“Our school has been blessed with athletic success over the years,” said longtime Carvers Bay basketball coach Jeff Mezzatesta, “and the two-week extension from the hurricane this season could see as many as 14 players miss the start of the season up to Christmas break.”

The winner of of Region VII-2A, the Bears football squad won two playoff games before bowing out last Friday to Barnwell. With many players still suiting up on Friday nights, junior varsity players were forced into the fire early.

“I haven’t even held a full tryout, just workouts,” Mezzatesta said. “We are playing right now with some junior varsity starters and one varsity player. But I have over 20 junior varsity and varsity still playing football.”

In an effort to allow nicks and bruises to heal, as well as get into basketball shape, the Carvers Bay basketball coach wonders just how long it will take before it is back at full strength.

“This could mean the loss of two region games since we play two before Christmas break,” he said. “… To say I’m not concerned about the effects of a shortened season to prepare my players would be a lie. I’m confident that my players know how to handle adversity and will work hard to find a way to succeed.”

As for Alvin Green, this is his first trip through the ringer, taking over as North Myrtle Beach boys hoops coach this past offseason. Also without a large share of his team due to the Chiefs football squad’s deep playoff run, junior varsity players suited up to begin the basketball campaign.

Despite missing the contribution of veteran players, Green enjoyed the opportunity to see the future of the program getting some valuable experience.

“I hope to be able to see these guys get as much experience as possible,” he said. “Our guys will be back, and we look forward to their return. But these opportunities are big for our younger guys.”

Joe L. Hughes II: 843-444-1702, @thejournalist44

This story was originally published December 6, 2016 at 4:10 PM with the headline "Extended football season presents challenge to area hoops coaches."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER