Founder of Myrtle Beach Amateur Championship planning 2018 return
The inaugural Myrtle Beach Amateur Championship was held at the King’s North Course at Myrtle Beach National from Sept. 8-10, which was unfortunately the weekend Hurricane Irma threatened to come through the Carolina coast. The storm impacted the event’s participation and length.
Organizer Phil Pfeiffer of Myrtle Beach, a support and implementation specialist with Golfnow.com, said there were a lot of late withdrawals resulting in a field of 30 players, and the event was shortened to 36 holes so players could have Sunday to prepare for the storm, which came through the area as a tropical storm with a damaging storm surge. “At the time I had to make that call the situation was still very uncertain,” said Pfeiffer, who played in the tournament and finished third.
Despite the small turnout, Pfeiffer said player feedback was very positive and he’s planning next year’s event. “I do feel quite confident about us continuing and growing the event in 2018 and beyond,” he said.
The tournament cost $184 and included three rounds with cart, daily practice balls, a breakfast buffet prior to the final round and pro shop gift certificate prizes.
Anthony Baker of Walkertown, N.C., won with a 4-under 140 that was seven shots better than runner-up Adam Sperry of Wilmington, N.C. Carl Leslie of Myrtle Beach won the senior division by a shot over Don Sheads of Murrells Inlet with a 151.
It remains to be seen if the Mayor’s Cup, a comparable amateur event that has been held in the Myrtle Beach area for the past 11 years, returns for its 12th playing later this year.
Last year’s tournament in November featured three rounds on the three public golf courses in the Myrtle Beach city limits: Pine Lakes Country Club, the Grande Dunes Resort Course and Whispering Pines Golf Club, which was the tournament’s sole host for its first 10 years.
Organizer Chip Smith, whose company Atlantic Golf Management operates Whispering Pines, said a decision on holding the 2017 tournament hasn’t been made.
Alan Blondin: 843-626-0284, @alanblondin
This story was originally published September 18, 2017 at 8:48 PM with the headline "Founder of Myrtle Beach Amateur Championship planning 2018 return."