Coastal Carolina

Coastal Carolina football game at Virginia canceled as UVA deals with shooting tragedy

The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers
The Coastal Carolina Chanticleers JASON LEE

Coastal Carolina’s football game against Virginia this Saturday has been canceled, UVA announced Wednesday morning.

The Chanticleers and Cavaliers were scheduled to play at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Virginia’s Scott Stadium, but the game won’t be played after a shooting at Virginia’s campus took the lives of three UVA football players.

Virginia players Lavel Davis, Devin Chandler and D’Sean Perry were killed in a shooting Sunday night. Davis was a South Carolina native and former Woodland High School standout.

“A decision if Virginia will participate in its final game of the season, a Nov. 26 (Saturday) date against Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, has not been made at this time,” Virginia said in a statement Wednesday. “Ticket refund information for the Coastal Carolina game will be issued at a later time.”

Coastal (9-1) will finish its regular season in a noon Nov. 26 road game at James Madison, then play in the Sun Belt Conference title game Dec. 3 and finally a bowl game.

“Our program is heartbroken for the University of Virginia, the victims’ families, loved ones, friends, and the entire community of Charlottesville. While our football team was looking forward to competing against the University of Virginia, we support their decision not to play,” Coastal Carolina football coach Jame Chadwell said in a statement released by the school. “Our program will continue to uplift their program, University, and community in our prayers as they continue to navigate this difficult time. We all stand in solidarity with UVA.”

This year’s game was supposed to be the first of a three-game series between the two schools. Virginia will go to CCU in 2024 and then back to Virginia for the 2025 game.

It’s still expected the two teams will play three times as originally planned.

“That’s what the original contact is,” Chadwell told reporters Wednesday in his weekly press conference. “My guess is, we’ll try and play it again down the line at some point.”

This story was originally published November 16, 2022 at 9:02 AM.

Lou Bezjak
The State
Lou Bezjak is the High School Sports Prep Coordinator for The (Columbia) State and (Hilton Head) Island Packet. He previously worked at the Florence Morning News and had covered high school sports in South Carolina since 2002. Lou is a two-time South Carolina Sports Writer of the Year by the National Sports Media Association. Support my work with a digital subscription
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER