Coastal Carolina has received several commitments from football recruits in recent days, bringing its total to at least 15 players who may sign during the new early signing period that begins Wednesday.
At least seven players, including five offensive skill players, have recently committed to join CCU for the 2018 season according to some recruiting services, websites and the players’ social media pages.
▪ Teddy Gallagher, a 6-1, 235-pound linebacker from Glendale Community College in Glendale, Calif., who played at Loyola High in Los Angeles.
▪ Antonio Robinson, a 5-11, 185-pound running back from Austin High in Decatur, Ala., who has reportedly run a speedy 4.4-second 40-yard dash.
▪ Jai Williams, a wide receiver from Jacksonville, Fla., who is listed at 5-9 and 156 pounds by ESPN.
▪ Isaiah Likely of Everett, Mass., a big wide receiver that is about 6-3 and 220 pounds who also played defensive end/outside linebacker.
▪ Damari Kelly of Burke County, Ga., an athletic quarterback who rushed for 1,742 career yards while throwing for 906 yards with 38 touchdowns.
▪ Fred Payton of Parkview, Ga., a quarterback who completed nearly 65 percent of his passes for 2,444 yards and 25 touchdowns this past season. In his career, he threw for 5,876 yards and 49 touchdowns with 16 interceptions.
▪ Torrion Stevenson of Branchville, who at 6-2 and 315 pounds is expected to add beef to the Coastal Carolina defensive line.
The new early signing period this year for Division I football recruits in the class of 2018 runs from Wednesday through Friday next week, and CCU offensive coordinator and interim head coach Jamey Chadwell said the Chants were hoping to sign 12 to 15 players this month and several more in the customary signing period beginning in February.
Eight previous commitments to CCU, according to the 247sports.com recruiting site and player social media pages, are receiver Jaivon Heiligh of Venice, Fla.; quarterback Bryce Carpenter of Venice, Fla.; tight end Jerrod Clark of Brighton, Mass.; defensive end Shaquor Newkirk of Harrells, N.C.; safety Khalil Barrett of Havelock, N.C.; linebacker Jamar Darboe of Church View, Va.; running back Bryson Godfrey of Alexander Central High in Taylorsville, N.C.; and wide receiver Da’kendall James of Portsmouth, Va.
James has already signed with CCU, according to 247sports. Athlete Israel Spivey of Ellenwood, Ga., verbally committed to Coastal in August but decommitted in November.