Sports

A Myrtle Beach high school fined by state athletic league. Here’s what we know

Myrtle Beach High School has been fined more than $7,000 by the South Carolina High School League.

The fine comes following the resignation of the high school’s longtime athletic director who had been placed on administrative leave.

The League, which provides governance for interscholastic athletic programs, fined the high school “due to issues related to eligibility, mainly stemming from incomplete paperwork,” an email from Horry County Schools District spokesperson Lisa Bourcier said.

John Cahill, the school’s athletic director since 2011, ended his tenure June 30, according to an email from Principal Kristin Altman. The announcement came days after it was reported that Cahill had been placed on administrative leave on May 7 “due to failure to complete job responsibilities.”

Bourcier confirmed previously to The Sun News that Cahill was on administrative leave, but declined to provide any additional details about the cause.

The original fine was set at $10,250, which was subsequently appealed, Bourcier said. The South Carolina High School League granted a reduction of $2,500, leading to a final fine of $7,750.

Bourcier said the school took a “proactive approach” in self-reporting the issues and is working to “rectify concerns within the athletic department following the 2024-25 academic year.”

Joe Quigley has been announced as the interim athletic director at Myrtle Beach High School, Bourcier said.

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER