Prison minister, family speak for serial Columbia child molester
A volunteer prison minister told a Richland County jury on Wednesday that convicted Columbia serial child molester Charles “Chuck” Sullivan helped win convicts to Christianity while Sullivan was in prison.
“I’m a Christian. I believe everybody has the opportunity to do better and come to Christ,” testified Gary Janelle, who told the jury he had known Sullivan for six years and that Sullivan’s work with Catholic prisoners’ groups helped convert prisoners.
Under questioning by Sullivan’s attorney James Falk, Janelle told how Sullivan’s personal guidance on how to help individual prisoners, as well as his knowledge of computers to produce Christian texts, “added a lot to the Catholic ministery at Allendale prison.”
In prison, with its mix of “Rastafarians and Wiccans and devil worshippers...telling the Christian story of God is so important, and Charles was able to do that, and it made a difference,”
Assistant S.C. Attorney General Cam Morrow was not impressed.
“Were you aware that Mr. Sullivan has admitted to molesting 40 boys from 1978 and 1997?” Morrow asked on cross-examination.
“Yes, sir,” replied Janelle.
“Were you aware that while he was committing crimes, he claimed that he was a devout Christian in order to become involved with children?” asked Morrow.
Janelle replied, “I’m in prison ministry. So I see lots of guys that have prison religion. I see lots of guys claim to be Christians. It doesn’t surprise me that someone would claim that – even Charles. All I attest to is the last five- six years.”
Morrow: “Are you aware that Mr. Sullivan successfully convinced parents of his victims that he was a devout Christian and he was allowed to mentor their children? Does that surprise you?”
Janelle: “Actually, with human beings nothing surprises me.”
Morrow: “You mentioned he has computer skills. Are you aware that Mr. Sullivan was convicted of viewing child pornography on a computer?
Janelle: “As I mentioned, nothing surprises me.”
It was the second day of testimony in a rare public commitment hearing, held at the Richland County courthouse, for certain kinds of sexual offenders.
Although Sullivan served 17 years behind bars for molesting 19 young boys from 1978 to 1997, state law allows the Attorney General’s office to intervene after Sullivan is released from prison to seek to have pedophiles like him be confined in a special sexual predator unit run by the S.C. Department of Mental Health.
Sullivan finished his prison sentence last year and has been confined at Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center pending this hearing.
Morrow is seeking to convince the jury that Sullivan is an incurable pedophile whose release would endanger area youth. Morrow wants the jury to vote to incarcerate Sullivan in a long term state mental health facility.
Falk is arguing that his client is no longer a threat and should go free. If released, Sullivan would be labeled a sex offender but live in the community and not be closely monitored by authorities.
On Wednesday, two of Sullivan’s sisters told the jury that Sullivan is ready to live in the community and that there is a care support system in place for him when he gets out.
“We believe he really does have remorse about this,” testified Sullivan’s older sister, Mary Jane Barrie, who told the jury that Sullivan would be welcome in her home.
Another sister, Eileen Sullivan, told the jury, “My mother is going to be 93 next month, and it would mean the world to her (to have Sullivan set free).”
Both sisters spoke of an English woman, Chris Tilbury, who they said has had a relationship with Sullivan since the early 1990s. They indicated that Tilbury, whom they said was in Dubai with visa problems, would want to continue the relationship. She still has his engagement ring, one sister testified.
Earlier in the trial, Morrow introduced evidence showing that English police had a complaint that Sullivan had molested a child in England at the same time he was there with Tilbury.
Sullivan, now 60, was arrested in late 1997 after his child victims began coming forth and tell law enforcement about him. It took a long time to break the case because Sullivan accosted most boys in one-on-one situations and most kept silent.
Eventually, enough children and their parents came forward to convince Sullivan he should plead guilty. Evidence showed that Sullivan had preyed on Columbia area boys ages 10-15 from about 1978 to 1997, using his positions with Carolina Children’s Home, local athletic youth leagues and Cardinal Newman school to curry favor with parents and get them to let their young sons spend time with him.
Over the years, Sullivan held numerous sleepovers and outings where he plied young boys with liquor, marijuana and pornographic videos. When the boys were intoxicated or asleep, he committed sex acts on them, according to evidence in his case and testimony Tuesday.
Although Sullivan has admitted to having sex with 40 boys from 1978 to 1997, investigators who know his case have said the number is likely far higher.
The trial recessed late Wednesday morning. It will resume again Thursday at 9 am at the Richland County courthouse.
The case is expected to go to the jury Thursday, after Sullivan takes the stand andclosing arguments. Judge Tanya Gee is presiding.
This story was originally published July 27, 2016 at 4:30 PM with the headline "Prison minister, family speak for serial Columbia child molester."