Father of slain Hilton Head teen bites off man’s earlobe
A distraught Hilton Head Island man yelling about the death of his daughter, making threatening comments about killing someone and about burning a house down was behind bars Wednesday after allegedly biting off the earlobe of man in a bar Sunday.
Robert Prock, 44, believed to be the father of shooting victim Rae Prock, was charged with first-degree assault and battery after deputies were called to Hilton Head Hospital around midnight Sunday, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office report.
Rae Prock, 17, was found with a gunshot wound Feb. 3 in a home on Wild Horse Road. She died the following day at the island hospital.
Capt. Bob Bromage of the Sheriff’s Office declined Wednesday to confirm that Robert Prock was the dead teen’s father, saying only that the two were related.
The bar assault victim, who was missing his entire right earlobe, told deputies he had been at the Beach Break Bar on Palmetto Bay Road when Robert Prock entered and appeared to be heavily intoxicated.
He said Robert Prock began yelling before approaching the victim and wrapping his arms around him as if he was going to hug him, the report said.
He then bit off the man’s earlobe and walked out of the bar without a word, the report said.
Witnesses were able to identify the suspect as Prock, and a deputy later found him at a residence on Ansley Court on Hilton Head.
When deputies found him, Prock began screaming “Don’t shoot me. I will comply.”
During an interview with deputies later, Prock said of the bar assault, “I did it and you know it,” the report said.
He also threatened the victim as he was being charged and told a deputy to tell the victim not to press charges — or he would lose more than his ear.
Prock was taken to the Beaufort County Detention Center and is being held on a $50,000 bond.
Caitlin Turner: 843-706-8184, @Cait_E_Turner
This story was originally published February 12, 2016 at 2:36 PM with the headline "Father of slain Hilton Head teen bites off man’s earlobe."