South Carolina

Father accused of killing wheelchair-bound, 5-year-old son

A Lancaster man has been charged with homicide by child abuse in the death of his physically disabled son last month, according to the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office.

Robert Jordan, 47, of Montecrest Street in Lancaster, was arrested Tuesday and charged with homicide by child abuse relating to the death of his 5-year-old son La’Marion Jordan.

Lancaster County deputies received a call concerning the death on Sept. 5, according to a press release. A sheriff’s investigator, an investigator with the State Law Enforcement Division’s child fatality unit and a coroner met Jordan at his home.

Jordan said his son, who had a disability, fell from his wheelchair and hit his head on the floor the previous day, sheriff’s spokesman Doug Barfield said. Jordan drove the child to Springs Memorial Hospital. The child was airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center, where he died the afternoon of Sept. 4. An autopsy indicated the child died from a blunt force injury to his head.

The arrest warrant states Jordan was carrying his son, who had cerebral palsy, and “forcefully threw” the boy down in the hallway of their home, causing the injury to the boy’s head.

Investigators interviewed witnesses with knowledge of the Jordan family, reviewed the child’s medical records and the autopsy report, and consulted with a medical expert, Barfield said. Investigators interviewed Jordan again Tuesday and arrested him that afternoon.

Sixth Circuit Solicitor Randy Newman declined to comment on the charges.

Sixth Circuit Chief Public Defender Mike Lifsey said his office has not been notified if it will be appointed to represent Jordan.

A person convicted of homicide by child abuse could face 20 years to life in prison, according to the warrant.

“Things are not always as they appear and do not always occur as they are explained,” Sheriff Barry Faile said. “The investigators on this case were persistent and dug deep into the facts to get to the truth about the tragic death of this child. We appreciate the expertise and assistance of SLED in this investigation.”

Herald reporter Andrew Dys contributed.

This story was originally published October 19, 2015 at 7:52 AM with the headline "Father accused of killing wheelchair-bound, 5-year-old son."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER