Lindsey Graham: Not getting on main debate stage hurt 2016 chances
U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham said Friday that he left the race for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination last month because he saw no clear path to the upper tier of candidates, some of whom he sees as toxic to the party.
The Seneca Republican was called regularly the winner of the “undercard” debates that featured lower-polling candidates, but he said not getting on the main stage killed his chances to win greater voter support.
Graham felt that if he could have found a way to reach the top three in New Hampshire primary polls, he could have won the next contest, which is in his home state of South Carolina.
Despite a strong start to fundraising, Graham said he had a difficult time competing against a front-runner, New York billionaire Donald Trump, who was earning so much free media time.
Graham did not provide a timetable on endorsing another GOP presidential candidate, but he would not back the top two national front-runners, Trump or U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, because he believes their harsh, uncompromising views divide the party and drive away potential supporters.
He said Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, even with all her baggage, “would eat their lunch” if Trump or Cruz were the GOP nominee.
The senator said U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican third in the polls, needs to show voters he can lead the country as a 44-year-old, first-term senator.
Graham called former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, a former front-runner who has collected the bulk of Graham supporters in South Carolina, the most popular Republican in the state with the South’s first primary.
“I think people are looking for someone like me,” Graham said.
Graham, 60, said he liked running for president enough to consider another shot in four years.
For now, he plans on returning to the Senate to help broker deals on immigration reform and economic reform.
This story was originally published January 8, 2016 at 2:05 PM with the headline "Lindsey Graham: Not getting on main debate stage hurt 2016 chances."