US Visa Update: Trump Admin Expands Pause Amid Ebola Outbreak
The U.S. State Department confirmed Friday that it was expanding its Ebola-related visa pause, as health officials continue to struggle to bring the outbreak in parts of Africa under control.
In an update shared with Newsweek, first seen by The Wall Street Journal, the Trump administration said it was planning to pause issuing visas to anyone who had been to an affected country within three weeks, after already suspending visa issuances at the respective embassies.
The U.S. was forced to make similar changes during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, amid efforts to stop the spread of the virus, for which there was no vaccine yet.
A State Department official told Newsweek that the Trump Administration was protecting the country and Americans, by upholding public health standards through the visa process.
Which Countries Are Impacted By the Expanded Pause?
Potential immigrants or visitors to the U.S. who have been to South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, or Uganda within the past 21 days will not be eligible for a visa while the pause is in place. That would expand the pause already imposed on visa issuance from the embassies in Juba, Kinshasa, and Kampala earlier this week.
The State Department said May 18 that the pause applies to those seeking immigrant and nonimmigrant visas, including those traveling for tourism, business, and study.
Why Are Appointments Being Canceled?
“The Department of State is committed to ensuring that its visa process upholds the highest standards for U.S. public health and safety,” a press release from the State Department read on May 18.
A similar reason was given for the planned expansion of the restrictions: to stop the spread of the disease.
The move echoes efforts in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, when the U.S. sought to restrict visa approvals for those from affected countries, to try to slow the spread.
When Will the Pause Be Lifted?
As of Friday afternoon, this was unclear, as concerns about the virus seemed to be increasing. The State Department had said Monday that it would reach out to applicants with any updates.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday that the outbreak was posing a "very high” risk for Congo, although the risk of the disease spreading globally remained low.
Eighty-two cases and seven deaths have been confirmed in Congo, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said, but the outbreak was believed to be "much larger.”
With no vaccine available yet for the Bundibugyo virus, which spread undetected for weeks in Congo’s Ituri Province, there are now 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths across the region.
How Contagious Is Ebola?
Ebola can infect humans when they have been in close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals-usually fruit bats, chimpanzees, gorillas, monkeys, forest antelope, or porcupines found ill or dead or in the rainforest.
Dr. Paul Spiegel, director of the Center for Humanitarian Health at Johns Hopkins University, previously told Newsweek that direct risk to Americans right now is “low,” as Ebola is not airborne, and the Bundibugyo strain driving this outbreak spreads only through contact with the bodily fluids of someone who already has symptoms.
Current CDC Guidelines on Travel
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said Thursday that it was imposing new health restrictions on those who had recently been to the three affected countries, requiring them to arrive exclusively through Washington Dulles International Airport for screening.
Officials warned passengers of possible flight changes or cancellations as airlines adjust to the measures.
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority previously told Newsweek it was coordinating with federal agencies to support the expanded health measures.
"The Airports Authority is working with federal partners to support efforts led by the Centers for Disease Control affecting various international flights arriving at Dulles Airport. This includes providing staff and public safety resources as needed. We are not expecting any significant impacts on airport customers," the authority said.
2026 NEWSWEEK DIGITAL LLC.
This story was originally published May 22, 2026 at 5:18 PM.