Dates have been set for groundbreaking ceremonies of five new Horry County schools, though shovels have already hit the ground in four of the five new buildings.
Work on Carolina Forest middle, St. James intermediate, Socastee Elementary and Myrtle Beach middle started about a month ago. District officials are still waiting for final approval to start work on the new Socastee middle school, which was purchased by the Horry County Board of Education earlier this year.
All five groundbreaking ceremonies – which are mostly symbolic at this point – were announced Tuesday afternoon:
- 11 a.m. Wednesday for the new middle school in the Carolina Forest area, at 150 Revolutionary War Way, Myrtle Beach. Parking at Horry County recreation parking lot with shuttle.
- 11 a.m. Friday for the new intermediate school in the St. James attendance area, 9641 Scipio Lane, Myrtle Beach. Parking along bus loop of Burgess Elementary.
- 11 a.m. May 25 for the new Myrtle Beach Middle School, 3101 North Oak Street, Myrtle Beach. Parking at Doug Shaw Stadium (behind former Family Learning Center).
- 1 p.m. May 31 for the new Socastee Elementary School, 4223 Socastee Blvd, Myrtle Beach. Parking at Socastee High School with a shuttle.
- 11 a.m. June 8 for the new middle school in the Socastee attendance area, 151 Esso Road, Myrtle Beach. Parking at outer ring of South Strand Medical Center lot.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Sun News