Education

Here’s how Horry County Schools look inside as teachers await final reopening decision

Caution tape on water fountains, social distancing markers on the floor and health guidelines on the walls are among the new decor staff at North Myrtle Beach Middle School saw Thursday as many returned in anticipation of school reopening.

Principal James LaPier said about 70 staff members were invited back into the school building to prepare to welcome back students, whenever that might be.

Horry County Schools’ reopening plan is based on weekly state Department of Health and Environmental Control data that monitors coronavirus activity in each county. The most recent report, updated each Monday, lists Horry County with medium spread, which would allow the district to open with a hybrid schedule, splitting students into two groups with each group attending in-person classes two days per week.

DHEC’s Aug. 31 report will determine how the district will reopen when classes begin Sept. 8. If activity moves to high, all instruction will be done remotely, while all classes will be held in-person if it moves to low spread. Teachers and staff will be asked to work in their school building assignments under all circumstances.

LaPier, while giving a tour to reporters and photographers, said the coming report won’t change their plan because they’re prepared for any possibility, and the initial emphasis will be on addressing student’s social and emotional needs.

South Carolina public schools have been closed to in-person instruction since mid-March in an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Wearing a mask with the North Myrtle Beach Middle School logo, Principal James LaPier talks to the media on Thursday. Teachers returned to North Myrtle Beach Middle School on Thursday and are preparing for the eventual re-opening after having been closed due to the coronavirus threat. August 27, 2020
Wearing a mask with the North Myrtle Beach Middle School logo, Principal James LaPier talks to the media on Thursday. Teachers returned to North Myrtle Beach Middle School on Thursday and are preparing for the eventual re-opening after having been closed due to the coronavirus threat. August 27, 2020 Jason Lee
Water fountains at North Myrtle Beach Middle School have been taped off. Teachers returned to North Myrtle Beach Middle School on Thursday and are preparing for the eventual re-opening after having been closed due to the coronavirus threat. August 27, 2020.
Water fountains at North Myrtle Beach Middle School have been taped off. Teachers returned to North Myrtle Beach Middle School on Thursday and are preparing for the eventual re-opening after having been closed due to the coronavirus threat. August 27, 2020. Jason Lee

Sharon Mahon, entering her 10th year as an eighth grade math teacher at NMBMS, already had her classroom set up as she had welcomed students beginning late last week for state-mandated Learn, Evaluate, Analyze, Prepare days.

She admitted she had a lot of anxiety about returning to school for the first time, but after she entered, she said it felt like she never left. The students she taught were well-behaved, wore their masks, stayed socially distanced and were excited to be back, she added.

LaPier said being able to see and welcome back even just a small fraction of students to the school was “like Christmas morning” for him and the rest of staff, but they really want to welcome them all back.

Eighth grade math teacher, Sharon Mahon stands in her classroom where desks have been spaced apart and arrows placed on the floor to direct student movement. Teachers returned to North Myrtle Beach Middle School on Thursday and are preparing for the eventual re-opening after having been closed due to the coronavirus threat. August 27, 2020.
Eighth grade math teacher, Sharon Mahon stands in her classroom where desks have been spaced apart and arrows placed on the floor to direct student movement. Teachers returned to North Myrtle Beach Middle School on Thursday and are preparing for the eventual re-opening after having been closed due to the coronavirus threat. August 27, 2020. Jason Lee

The desks in Mahon’s classroom are shaped in a way for them to be connected to help promote collaboration among students, but they were spaced apart with arrows on the floor directing students how to move through the room. She said she typically has 25-30 students per class, but the desks were set up to accommodate just 12.

About 30 percent of students, more than 13,000 total, have elected to enroll in the district’s full-time virtual school, which required at least a semester commitment.

This story was originally published August 28, 2020 at 11:29 AM.

David Weissman
The Sun News
Investigative projects reporter David Weissman joined The Sun News in 2018 after three years working at The York Dispatch in Pennsylvania, and he’s earned South Carolina Press Association and Keystone Media awards for his investigative reports on topics including health, business, politics and education. He graduated from University of Richmond in 2014.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER