New adult entertainment business likely coming to former Chez Joey location
A proposed adult entertainment business dubbed “Treasure Club” is planning to move into the former Chez Joey location on Seaboard Street, according to Myrtle Beach city officials.
A business license has not yet been issued; however, an application is in the works, and a sign/awning permit has been submitted, according to Mark Kruea, Myrtle Beach city spokesman.
Lettering beneath the blacked-out Chez Joey sign outside the business reads “Treasure Club coming soon.”
As of Wednesday, no construction permits had been submitted for the property — just the permit for the new sign, officials said.
The former owner of Chez Joey, an adult entertainment venue, surrendered his business license to Myrtle Beach city officials in April after after a Myrtle Beach license official sent a letter March 23 stating the business license was being revoked.
The letter gave several reasons for the revocation, accusing the former manager, Anthony Strickland, who signed for the license, of fraud for not admitting a past drug conviction and for telling the S.C. Department of Revenue he had no managerial responsibilities at the business.
Strickland, along with former employee Lindsey Honeycutt, were both arrested in March in connection with sex crimes against two 4-year-old children who allegedly were abused at a dance club, which police later identified as Chez Joey.
The former club owner denied that any incidents involving children happened at the club and stressed his willingness in cooperating with police, who seized surveillance footage, computers, and other items from the club.
Ambrose Heavener and Panteleimon “Peter” Spirakis also were arrested in connection with sex crimes against the children, which allegedly happened at other locations in the Myrtle Beach area.
City officials trust the new owner of the establishment will follow laws and city guidelines and aren’t concerned about potential misbehavior after taking steps to close Chez Joey, according to Kruea, the city’s spokesman.
“We have rules and regulations in place and remedies if needed, and we expect the owner will abide by those rules and regulations,” Kruea said.
The business license application is going through the normal submission process, according to Kruea, who said city officials don’t plan to keep an extra watch on the proposed business.
“I think it will get the normal attention that all businesses receive,” he said.
Elizabeth Townsend: 843-626-0217, @TSN_etownsend
This story was originally published June 2, 2016 at 10:18 AM with the headline "New adult entertainment business likely coming to former Chez Joey location."