Crime

Police: Missing teen from Myrtle Beach left of her own free will

Katelyn Mullinax was found safe Saturday nearly a week after she was reported missing. Police say she was not kidnapped.
Katelyn Mullinax was found safe Saturday nearly a week after she was reported missing. Police say she was not kidnapped. Photo courtesy Myrtle Beach Police Department

A 16-year-old girl was reunited with her family Saturday nearly a week after she was reported missing and although a warrant has been obtained in the case, no kidnapping charges are expected to be filed.

“Officers with the Myrtle Beach Police Department have completed a review of the evidence in this investigation and determined that Katelyn Mullinax left the Myrtle Beach area on her own free will,” according to a release from Myrtle Beach police Lt. Joey Crosby. “The evidence has revealed that she was not kidnapped or forced to leave.”

But police say a warrant has been obtained for a “subject” under the charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. The defendant’s name will be released once the warrant has been served, according to the release.

Mullinax “is safe and has been released to the custody of her parents,” Crosby said in the release.

Mullinax had been missing since she was last seen at 10 p.m. Monday, March 28, in the area of 803 S. Ocean Boulevard, police said.

Emily Weaver: 843-444-1722, @TSNEmily

This story was originally published April 3, 2016 at 5:40 PM with the headline "Police: Missing teen from Myrtle Beach left of her own free will."

Related Stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER