Crime

Man charged in missing teen’s murder arrested in connection with shooting following argument at drive-thru

Christopher Anfony Brown
Christopher Anfony Brown

A 21-year-old Conway man out on bail from a murder charge involving the death of an Aynor teen, kidnapped and killed about two years ago, is back behind bars after a November shooting.

Christopher Anfony Brown is charged with attempted murder, possession of a weapon by person convicted of violent felony, and possession with intent to distribute marijuana, according to Lt. Raul Denis with Horry County police.

Brown was arrested Thursday after a 25-year-old man was shot in the leg through his car door on Nov. 6 following an argument that started in the drive-thru of a Conway Burger King.

Horry County police were called about 8 p.m. Friday to a home on Kin Lane in Conway in reference to the shooting, and the victim said that after an argument in the drive-thru, he followed the other party’s vehicle to the area of D Street and Rose Moss Road, police said.

The victim told police he was shot once in the leg and that the bullet went through his car door as he passed the other vehicle, which was described as a silver/green sports utility vehicle, authorities said.

The victim was treated at a local hospital and had surgery after suffering the bullet wound, police said.

Brown fired a handgun twice during the incident, and several rounds of ammunition were found in his home Thursday, along with a round of 380 caliber ammunition, which was found in his left front pocket, an arrest warrant said.

Marijuana, packaged in small plastic bags and kept in two clear mason jars, was also found during a police search, according to the warrant.

Brown is being held at J. Reuben Long Detention Center on $20,000 bond for drug possession and firearm possession, but no bond has been set for the attempted murder charge, jail records show.

He was arrested back in December 2014 and was charged with murder. In the early hours of Aug. 26, 2013, Brown and Javon Dion Gibbs, 20, abducted 19-year-old Zachary Malinowski from his home and took him to the western part of the county where they killed him, police said.

Malinowski was last seen a day earlier in Aynor, but he was heard from via telephone at 12:15 a.m. the day of his alleged murder. Police found Malinowski’s burned 1996 Chevrolet Beretta along Valley Forge Road a week later.

Brown was released from jail on $20,000 bail for the kidnapping charge and $30,000 bail for the murder charge though his bond was initially denied by a magistrate because a circuit court judge must set bond for a murder charge.

Circuit Court Judge Culbertson granted bond for Brown in May, and he posted it on June 20, records show.

Gibbs was released on $50,000 bail for murder and kidnapping charges as well, court records show.

Brown will appear before a circuit court judge in an Horry County general sessions courtroom on Dec. 16 where the state will ask that his bond be revoked because of the recent charges against him, Jimmy Richardson, Horry County Solicitor, said.

A trial date is set for March 2016 for the kidnapping and murder of Zachary Malinowski, Richardson said.

Elizabeth Townsend: 843-626-0217, @TSN_etownsend

This story was originally published December 8, 2015 at 10:35 AM with the headline "Man charged in missing teen’s murder arrested in connection with shooting following argument at drive-thru."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER