Crime

Suspect wanted in connection with University Village shooting surrenders to police


Dequan Rashad Wilson
Dequan Rashad Wilson

A man wanted in connection with a Conway teen’s shooting death at an apartment complex surrendered to Horry County police Thursday, authorities said.

Dequan Rashad Wilson, 20, of Myrtle Beach, is charged with murder and is awaiting a bond hearing at J. Reuben Long Detention Center, police said.

The victim was identified as Kristen Jetel Rekeem Williams, 19, of Conway, and he was pronounced dead Monday morning at University Village at the Coast, authorities said.

CCU school officials said Williams was not a student at the university.

An arrest affidavit showed that Williams was shot in the head and died as a result. Police were called at 4 a.m. Monday to 113 Chanticleer Village Drive for an assault.

Authorities initially thought Williams fell or was pushed from a balcony at the complex, which is an off-campus housing development that is popular among area college students, according to their website.

In a police report, Williams’ brother called to report he saw him laying on the ground outside of the building and it appeared Williams had been assaulted. At that time Williams was breathing, but not responsive.

Another person called police and reported that Williams was pushed off a balcony at the complex, according to the report. When officers arrived they found six to eight people standing outside and they were described as “a small, very agitated crowd.”

The officer noted that Williams did not have a pulse and had blood coming from the back of his head, according to the report.

Elizabeth Townsend: 843-626-0217, @TSN_etownsend

This story was originally published September 18, 2015 at 6:36 AM with the headline "Suspect wanted in connection with University Village shooting surrenders to police."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER