Horry County jail detainee ‘viciously’ attacked by inmate, lawsuit claims
A Horry County man claims he was “viciously” attacked by another inmate while waiting a pre-trial hearing at J. Reuben Long Detention Center.
The attack occurred because of the Horry County Sheriff’s Office’s failure to properly classify and supervise detainees at the detention center, a lawsuit filed Jan. 15, 2026, said.
Trois Bennett, who had been arrested on Jan. 8, 2025, claims that he was placed in a locked holding cell with another detainee who had an “extensive violent criminal history.” The detainee attacked Bennett, who is partially blind, causing a compound fracture to his left leg among other injuries, the lawsuit said.
The Horry County Sheriff’s Office doesn’t comment on pending litigation, according to Horry County Sheriff’s spokesperson Brennan Cavanagh by email.
The detention center staff failed to keep its detainees “in a reasonably safe condition and environment,” the suit said. The suit alleges the law enforcement agency also failed to conduct an adequate intake screening of detainees, separate detainees and provide adequate supervision.
Bennett is requesting a jury trial to recoup medical expenses and loss of wages and damages for physical pain and suffering.