Crime

SC man guilty of beating, killing another homeless man. How long is his prison sentence?

A homeless man pleaded guilty to manslaughter after he beat another homeless man with a wooden palette in 2022.

Christopher Lee Perry, 43, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter on Wednesday, with Judge Michael Nettles sentencing him to 20 years in prison, according to a release from the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit Office. Perry is from Blythewood, The Sun News previously reported.

During the early morning on Oct. 17, 2022, Perry got in a fight with another homeless man, Brian Edward Durost, 45, and then attacked him with a wooden palette. This caused the Massachusetts native to die from blunt force trauma, the release said.

It’s unclear what they argued about.

Myrtle Beach Police got a call about a dead body found in the grassy area behind Food Lion, 1009 U.S. 501, at about 1:45 a.m. on Oct. 17, 2022, The Sun News reported.

Perry and Durost knew each other, the release said. Police said Perry was the last person to see Durost alive and other people saw Perry leaving the area of the killing around the time Durost died.

This story was originally published April 16, 2025 at 2:11 PM.

Emalyn Muzzy
The Sun News
Emalyn Muzzy is the retail and leisure reporter for The Sun News. She started as a breaking news reporter in Myrtle Beach before switching to the business beat. She graduated from the University of Minnesota is 2022 with a degree in journalism and Spanish.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER