Update: ‘MasterChef’ winner allegedly shot gun in Myrtle Beach area apartment, arrested
Last year’s winner of the TV reality show “MasterChef” was arrested Tuesday.
Michael Leonard, 28, was charged with a weapons ordinance that includes discharging firearms, slingshots or explosives. He was released from J. Reuben Long Detention Center after paying a $1,000 bail.
Leonard told police he was taking apart and cleaning a rifle in his apartment at about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, the police report said. He put the magazine into the rifle and “suddenly fired into his roof.” The bullet went through the ceiling and entered the apartment above his.
Leonard’s neighbor said a loud pop woke him up, the report said. He went to investigate and found his living room filling with smoke and a bullet hole in both the floor and the ceiling. The bullet did not hit anyone.
The neighbor then called police and said a single round was shot into their apartment, according to the report.
Prior to the gun being shot, Leonard had drunk several alcoholic beverages, the report said. The last one he had was an hour before the gun going off.
Leonard competed against three contestants on the 2024 reality TV show for a trophy and $250,000 in prize money.
Leonard owns his own business, LDI Services in Myrtle Beach.
The Horry County resident landed a spot on Fox’s “MasterChef: Generations” by serving an Italian dish to judges Gordon Ramsay, Aarón Sánchez and Joe Bastianich.
This story was originally published April 16, 2025 at 10:00 AM.