SC Vietnam veteran swindled out of more than $200K by man and family he sought to help
A North Myrtle Beach man was swindled out of more than $200,000 by a person he allowed to move into his home with his family.
The man, Robert Lucas, was arrested on charges of exploitation of a vulnerable adult on Oct. 14, 2024.
North Myrtle Beach Police were contacted by the victim’s daughter in June when she discovered that her father had been a victim of fraud. She provided police with bank records and loan documents, a police report said.
The man told police that he learned that Lucas, 47, and his wife and two children were living out of their vehicle and he invited them to live in his 57th Avenue North home until Lucas could get back on his feet. He met Lucas some time in late 2020 or early 2021 at a pawn shop, the report said.
Lucas managed to convince the man to take out several high-interest loans and withdrew money from the victim’s account totaling more than $135,000, a police report said. Lucas is also accused of taking several items from the victim, including an Alumacraft boat, firearms and the victim’s late-wife’s jewelry.
The victim is a Vietnam veteran and is disabled, the report said. He also is on several medications that can cause “a change in behavior” if he doesn’t take them regularly, the report said.
The daughter helped her father file an eviction on Lucas and he moved out of the house in February. However, it appears that Lucas was still able to remove money from the victim’s account.
Lucas was booked into the J. Reuben Long Detention Center where he was released on a $75,000 bond on Oct. 17.
This story was originally published October 24, 2024 at 9:59 AM.