Crime

Update: Myrtle Beach police release more details on bank robbery, man charged


Officers respond to a reported bank robbery at Conway National Bank on 21st Avenue and are searching the surrounding neighborhoods for a suspect that fled on foot.
Officers respond to a reported bank robbery at Conway National Bank on 21st Avenue and are searching the surrounding neighborhoods for a suspect that fled on foot. jlee@thesunnews.com

Myrtle Beach police recently released more details on a bank robbery that occurred Tuesday morning at Conway National Bank branch on 21st Avenue North.

Myrtle Beach police officers charged a man in connection with the bank robbery, which was the second robbery at 21st Avenue North branch in three months.

Kenneth Green, 44, of Myrtle Beach was charged about 3 p.m. Tuesday after he was taken into custody by officers, Lt. Joey Crosby said. Green is expected to have a bond hearing Wednesday morning.

Officers were called about 11 a.m. Tuesday to the bank at 1353 21st Ave. N., and a 24-year-old female bank employee told police that a man came in and appeared to be filling out or writing on a piece of paper at the guest work station, authorities said.

The victim said the man handed her a note demanding money then told the victim he had a gun, but the victim said she never saw one, police said.

The victim said the man then ran from the bank, almost knocking down a male witness as he left, authorities said.

Detectives reviewed surveillance footage and released a photo of the person they were looking for in the robbery, and Green was later charged in connection with the robbery.

This is the second time this year the Conway National Bank branch on 21st Avenue North has been robbed.

Tyrone Louis Harts, Jr. was arrested by Myrtle Beach police June 1 for a robbery on May 7.

Harts 26, was charged with bank robbery, kidnapping, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, child passenger restraint violation and violation of beginner permit, according to Myrtle Beach Jail records.

Officers were called at 4:30 p.m. May 7 to the Conway National Bank branch for a robbery, according to a police report. Officers learned a man came into the bank, pointed a gun at the teller and told everyone inside it was a robbery.

In arrest warrants, officers said an investigation led them to Harts and he was arrested. During the robbery, officials reported $4,000 was taken.

The Conway National Bank at 3591 Northgate Rd. in Myrtle Beach was also robbed earlier this month. Four people were arrested in connection to that incident.

Theo Silvester, 21, was arrested in Greenville and Requaese Washington was arrested in College Park, Ga., Crosby said.

Myrtle Beach police responded to the scene around 5 p.m. July 7 and released photos of the suspects at 7 p.m. Police warned people in a Facebook post against detaining the suspects themselves because they were considered armed and dangerous.

Keyunna Simmons and Janae Wilson were also arrested in connection with the July 7 robbery, Crosby said.

Claire Byun contributed to this report.

This story was originally published July 28, 2015 at 11:41 AM with the headline "Update: Myrtle Beach police release more details on bank robbery, man charged."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER