Mother arrested in child’s drowning incident at Myrtle Beach hotel over July 4th weekend
A 43-year-old woman has been arrested in a drowning incident that occurred at a Myrtle Beach hotel over the Fourth of July weekend.
Ana Luisa Beccerra-Lira was charged July 8, 2024, by Myrtle Beach Police with unlawfully placing a child at risk of or cause harm or willfully abandon a child. A city of residence was redacted on the arrest warrant for Beccerra-Lira.
Police responded to the Caribbean Resort, 3000 N. Ocean Blvd., in reference to a drowning incident. Video surveillance showed the victim and Beccerra-Lira, his mother, in the pool area, according to an arrest warrant. The mother takes pictures of the victim in the shallow hot tub and then walks away from the pool area.
The defendant is sitting in a lounge chair out of the sight of the victim. The victim exits the hot tub and then jumps into the 5 foot pool, the warrant said. The victim is under water for 6 minutes before being pulled out and administered CPR, the warrant said.
Beccera-Lira was unaware of the victim’s location or that he had been pulled out of the water, the warrant said.
Myrtle Beach Fire Department responded to the incident Friday evening and took the victim to the hospital.
It is unclear what the child’s condition.
This story was originally published July 9, 2024 at 11:17 AM.