Crime

Myrtle Beach student brings firearm into school Tuesday morning. What we know so far

A student brought a gun into Myrtle Beach Middle School Tuesday. The school is on a “hold” protocol until the investigation is over.
A student brought a gun into Myrtle Beach Middle School Tuesday. The school is on a “hold” protocol until the investigation is over. TNS

On Tuesday morning, a student brought a firearm into Myrtle Beach Middle School.

According to a Facebook post from the Myrtle Beach Police Department, the student has been detained and there is an investigation ongoing. There is no threat, according to the post.

A school resource officer was notified of the student having a firearm inside the school and was able to locate the gun, the post said.

Myrtle Beach Middle School administrators sent out an email to parents about the incident.

“School Administration and the Myrtle Beach Police Department School Resource Officer immediately recognized that this child was not following normal procedures and secured the student,” said Lisa Bourcier, the Horry County Schools communications director, in an email to The Sun News.

Students and staff are safe and are staying in classrooms until the investigation is over, Bourcier said. The student who brought the gun in “will be held accountable.”

Emalyn Muzzy
The Sun News
Emalyn Muzzy is the retail and leisure reporter for The Sun News. She started as a breaking news reporter in Myrtle Beach before switching to the business beat. She graduated from the University of Minnesota is 2022 with a degree in journalism and Spanish.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER