Crime

Woman’s phone pinged in area where murdered man found, hearing reveals. Video shows assault

Stock image

A woman facing a murder charge in connection to the death of a North Carolina man whose body was found in Galivants Ferry lied to police about the deceased’s whereabouts, according to testimony during a Friday preliminary hearing.

Samantha Watts, 40, of Green Sea, has been accused of killing Corey Adam Soles, 29, who was found Jan. 16 near 3779 Green Sea Road. The Chadbourn man was identified by the Horry County Coroner’s Office.

Watts was arrested Jan. 16 and has also been charged with obstruction of justice, accessory after the fact to a felony or murder and multiple drug charges.

The defense requested a motion to dismiss the accessory after the fact to a felony, citing lack of probable cause, but the judge denied it.

Arresting officer James Fogel testified at the hearing that after obtaining a search warrant, officers found video footage at Watts’ house of Soles being assaulted by four men, her co-defendants. But he didn’t name who was shown in the videos.

Watts is among eight people who have been arrested in connection to Soles’ death.

Watts was not present in court Friday, but her attorney was participating through a video call.

It is not clear what led to the alleged assault or what type of relationship Watts had with Soles prior to the incident.

Watts’ attorney also questioned the obstruction of justice charge after Fogel said Watts had denied the assault had taken place at her home.

But Fogel said video showed that Soles had been placed in a wheelchair and taken to a shed on the property. Watts and a co-defendant, who had a pole, went to the shed at some point and killed Soles, according to Fogel.

Then, the unnamed defendant and Watts carried a wheelchair and something big to a vehicle.

During his recount of the investigation, Fogel added that cellphone data showed Watts’ phone had been in the Galivants Ferry area where Soles’ remains were found.

Soles died from blunt force trauma, according to Fogel’s statement on the autopsy report. Soles suffered about eight to 10 blows to the head, he said.

Prosecution asked Fogel if the alleged assault could’ve been self-defense, but the officer maintained that video, witness statements and the autopsy supported that Soles had a broken leg; therefore, he was in no shape to fight.

The search of Watts’ property was conducted after Soles was reported missing to authorities on Jan. 9.

In total, eight people have been arrested in connection to the death.

  • Ryan Porter, of Tabor City, N.C.: second-degree assault and battery by mob

  • Jonathan Watts, of Myrtle Beach: second-degree assault and battery by a mob charge.

  • Joshua Brown, of Nichols: accessory after the fact, third-degree domestic violence

  • Amber Watts, of Loris: accessory to murder

Three juveniles, one facing a murder charge, have been arrested as well.

Watts remains incarcerated, according to online booking records.

This story was originally published February 17, 2023 at 2:37 PM.

Related Stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER