HCPD: Third suspect arrested in connection with Fat Boiz Bar shooting

Casey LaBarrett Richardson
Casey LaBarrett Richardson

A suspect wanted in connection with the recent Fat Boiz Bar shooting was arrested and is currently in police custody, according to Lt. Raul Denis, spokesman with Horry County police.

Casey LaBarrett Richardson, 30, of Conway, is being transported to Horry County to the J. Reuben Long Detention Center, authorities said.

Denis said another law enforcement agency arrested Richardson, but did not specify which one.

Police said Richardson was wanted for attempted murder, possession of a weapon or ammunition by a violent felon, and possession of a weapon during a violent crime prior to his arrest.

The charges stem from an incident involving Horry County police being called about 4:40 a.m. June 28 to Fat Boiz Bar at 2965 Fred Nash Blvd. in Myrtle Beach where a shooting occurred that reportedly involved at least three men and security guards, authorities said.

Highway Patrol officers were conducting a vehicle accident investigation in the area and heard several gunshots near the bar, so they called Horry County police. While en route to the bar, one of the shooting victims called police to report the incident, authorities said.

The three suspects were escorted out by security guards over a pool game incident when a security officer saw a man in a car pull a gun. The security guard responded by drawing his own firearm and was shot at by other people, Denis said.

The security guard was shot in the hand and taken to Grand Strand Medical Center, according to the report.

The investigation revealed two groups of people were firing guns at each other when one of the groups fired toward the security officers. Two people suffered minor gunshot wounds, Denis said.

Jerrmon Quinton Gowdy, 27, of Georgetown, and Calvin Durrell Ford, 28, of Myrtle Beach, were also each charged with attempted murder and weapons possession in connection with the incident, police said.

Ford was charged with possession of firearms or ammunition in addition to the other charges.

Gowdy was released on $25,000 bail Wednesday after being booked into the J. Reuben Long Detention Center on Monday, according to jail records.

Ford remained incarcerated on a $60,000 bond at the J. Reuben Long Detention Center Friday morning after being booked in July 1, according to jail records.

Contact ELIZABETH TOWNSEND at 626-0217 or on Twitter @TSN_etownsend.

Related stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News