Myrtle Beach City Council permanently revokes business license after deadly shooting
The Myrtle Beach City Council permanently revoked the business license of a popular bar Tuesday morning, after a deadly shooting this year.
Earlier this month, representatives of Donny’s Saloon appealed the loss of their business license, which had been revoked prior to a June 3 council meeting.
The council’s decision to deny the appeal comes after a fatal shooting at the bar, located on 3rd Avenue South in Myrtle Beach.
Councilman Gregg Smith said he doesn’t want to shut the bar down but doesn’t think it is at the level it should be to reopen. He added that the city would be better without it.
“I belive this has been a nuisance to the city, to the neighbors and to the general public,” Smith said during Tuesday’s meeting.
The vote was unanimous.
The shooting
Myrtle Beach police say Hubert Durant, along with Jermaine Gattison, 36, are responsible for the death of Jas’sier Wilson, of Surfside Beach, on March 25 at Donny’s Saloon.
When police arrived at the bar, they found no one injured on-scene. Hospital staff notified police when Wilson arrived with at least one gunshot wound.
Gattison is from Elk Grove, California, according to the Horry County jail’s website.
During a bond hearing for Gattison, who was arrested earlier this month, a Myrtle Beach magistrate judge could not set Gattison’s bond due to the severity of the charge. A circuit court judge will have to set Gattison’s bond during his initial court appearance, which is scheduled for July 9, the magistrate judge said.
A victim’s advocate informed the judge that the Wilson family was attending the bond hearing but that they did not wish to speak.
Police have also accused staff at Donny’s Saloon of failing to seek treatment for Wilson and attempting to clean up the crime scene by mopping up the floor and removing shell casings to attempt to impede the law enforcement investigation.
Brian Rommel Foushee, 36, of Atlantic Beach; Isabella Rena Gaghum, 24, of Myrtle Beach; Danny Kevin Gunter, 37, of Myrtle Beach; and Dominique Nichole Nance, 24, of Myrtle Beach, are charged with obstruction of justice.
During a bond hearing on April 10, all four suspects, who are Donny’s Saloon employees, told a Myrtle Beach judge that they heard gunshots and ran to hide. They also said they had cooperated with police and were confused when they were arrested.
Magistrate Judge Clifford Welsh said it seemed the group had “no intention of covering up a crime.” Welsh set a personal recognizance bond for each of the four suspects, which is a no-cost bail and a promise that they will appear at all court hearings.
According to the Horry County Coroner’s Office, Wilson died at Grand Strand Medical Center on April 2. He was 26.
The coroner’s office announced the death in a news release on April 10, saying the agency had been informed of the death “minutes ago.”
This story was originally published June 22, 2021 at 11:26 AM.