Crime

Prison or probation? North Myrtle Beach man accused of stealing thousands rejects plea

With an offer of probation on the table, a North Myrtle Beach businessman accused of stealing thousands of dollars instead will take a chance with a jury.

He faces up to 55 years in prison.

Walter Pigg was in Horry County court on Tuesday for an arraignment on nearly a dozen breach of trust charges for alleged embezzlement from an HOA and Grand Strand vacationers.

North Myrtle Beach Police say Pigg did not deposit money from the Island Palms Homeowners Association into an account. Pigg then withdrew more than $17,000 through an ATM and debit purchases, without HOA approval, to spend at The Big “M” casino and other gambling establishments.

The investigation started when North Myrtle Beach officials received dozens of complaints detailing alleged misconduct by PIgg since he bought Keye Beach Rentals. The agency closed in 2019.

Property owners say Pigg failed to pay them when they agreed to rent condos to Keye Beach Rentals. Several vacationers also previously told The Sun News that they had issues renting from Keye Beach Rentals. The problems included arriving in the area to find they had nowhere to stay.

Assistant Solicitor James Stanko said Pigg faces up to a half-century in prison if convicted of all charges. He added there was no restitution being sought in the case as the victims filed civil suits against Pigg.

Pigg did not speak during the hearing other than to answer the judge’s questions. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

This story was originally published September 29, 2020 at 4:02 PM.

Alex Lang
The Sun News
Alex Lang is the True Crime reporter for The Sun News covering the legal system and how crime impacts local residents. He says letting residents know if they are safe is a vital role of a newspaper. Alex has covered crime in Detroit, Iowa, New York City, West Virginia and now Horry County.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER