Crime

Man convicted of killing a taxi driver in Conway says he should get a new trial.

A man convicted of killing a taxi driver in the Conway area in 2017 says he should be given a new trial.

Marion Campbell filed a post-conviction relief request in Horry County last week. The request is made by a defendant after conviction, where they argue about why their case was not properly handled.

Campbell argued his lawyer was ineffective and did not properly advise him when he pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter.

In 2019, Campbell pleaded guilty to killing Dennis Mantel, who was shot in his taxi near Juniper Bay Road and Dunn Short Cut Road. Mantel died from a single gunshot wound.

Mantel was found dead in his cab in the front yard of a home on June 23, 2017.

A judge sentenced Campbell to 30 years in prison, and he is incarcerated at Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville, South Carolina. He has a projected release date of 2043.

Campbell offered few details in his Horry County filing about why he should get a new trial though he referenced not being advised about an Alford plea. That is a plea where a defendant does not admit guilt in the case, but says there is enough evidence to convict after a trial.

He also stated that his lawyer failed to properly investigate his case.

Alex Lang
The Sun News
Alex Lang is the True Crime reporter for The Sun News covering the legal system and how crime impacts local residents. He says letting residents know if they are safe is a vital role of a newspaper. Alex has covered crime in Detroit, Iowa, New York City, West Virginia and now Horry County.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER