Crime

Conway police respond to shooting near Whittemore park

One person was shot near Whittemore Park in Conway on Wednesday.

Officers went to Wright Boulevard about 3:30 p.m. for the reported shooting, according to Conway Police Spokeswoman Taylor Newell. The victim was shot multiple times in the “lower extremities.”

Newell said the exact location of the shooting is unknown, and the victim went to the hospital.

Wright Boulevard is the name for a section of U.S. 378 in the Conway area of Horry County.

Traffic was diverted as investigators canvassed the area, and Whittemore Park Middle School went on lockdown.

People in the area were also asked to shelter in place in the immediate aftermath of the shooting. Horry County Schools Spokeswoman Lisa Bourcier said all students and staff at the school were safe.

The victim’s condition was unknown Thursday afternoon, and no arrests had been made, according to officials. Though Wednesday afternoon they identified a person of interest in the case.

Conway police department

This story was originally published February 12, 2020 at 3:43 PM.

Alex Lang
The Sun News
Alex Lang is the True Crime reporter for The Sun News covering the legal system and how crime impacts local residents. He says letting residents know if they are safe is a vital role of a newspaper. Alex has covered crime in Detroit, Iowa, New York City, West Virginia and now Horry County.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER