Crime

State drops manslaughter charges in separate Horry County cases involving self-defense

Two accused killers will no longer face charges after the state dropped its case saying both involved stand-your-ground claims.

Gary Williams and Laquandian Bromell were each charged with manslaughter in separate incidents. According to court records, the state dropped charges against each man earlier this month.

Horry County police arrested Williams in May 2018. According to a police report, officers went to a residence on U.S. 701 near Conway and found Matthew Donovan face down on a couch with his head in a pillow.

Authorities said they suspected Williams of choking Donovan to death.

Jimmy Richardson, solicitor for the 15th Judicial Circuit, said that cases involved Donovan and Williams at a gathering. Donovan left and then returned demanding money from Donovan. It was then the choking happened.

In March 2018, Horry County police arrested Bromell in connection to a shooting in the Freemont area in Longs. The 5:30 a.m. shooting left Larry T. Wilson dead, police said.

At a bond hearing, the victim’s mother asked a judge not to be “too hard” on Bromell when he set bail.

Richardson said the victim and Bromell were in an argument and it was determined that the victim was the aggressor. He added the victim’s family understood why the charges were dropped.

This story was originally published February 11, 2020 at 1:26 PM.

Related Stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News
Alex Lang
The Sun News
Alex Lang is the True Crime reporter for The Sun News covering the legal system and how crime impacts local residents. He says letting residents know if they are safe is a vital role of a newspaper. Alex has covered crime in Detroit, Iowa, New York City, West Virginia and now Horry County.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER