Crime

Police charge man in connection with Saturday shooting at resort complex

A man is facing charges in connection to a shooting that took place Saturday night at an Ocean Boulevard resort on Myrtle Beach.

Craig Tallambadge Williams is charged with attempted murder and possession of a weapon during a violent crime. A municipal court judge set a $150,000 cash surety bond for Williams early Monday morning, according to the Myrtle Beach Clerk of Court’s office.

There were two shootings reported within nine hours of each other at Compass Cove Resort during the weekend, authorities said. Myrtle Beach police Lt. Joey Crosby said he was not aware of the two incidents being related.

Officers were called to Compass Cove at 2311 S. Ocean Blvd. about 10:30 p.m. Saturday and again at 6:57 a.m. Sunday for separate shooting incidents, authorities said. A man suffered gunshot wounds in the Saturday shooting, but no one was hurt in the early morning Sunday incident.

Crosby said Sunday that Williams, who was taken into custody soon after the Saturday night shooting, will be charged in the incident.

In a report released early Sunday, police said they were called at 10:25 p.m. Saturday to 2311 S. Ocean Blvd. for a reported shooting. Police found that a 39-year-old man had been shot in a hotel room on the ninth floor.

The victim, who police said had serious injuries, was taken to Grand Strand Medical Center for treatment. Details about his condition were not available Sunday.

Officers took Williams into custody as the suspect in the shooting, according to the report.

In the second incident on Sunday, officers continued to search for the person responsible for firing a gun during a robbery attempt, Crosby said.

Officers were called at 6:57 a.m. Sunday to one of the buildings that is part of Compass Cove at 2401 S. Ocean Blvd., authorities said. The victim told police he came out of his room and was approached by a man, who presented a gun and demanded the victim’s money.

The victim ran to his room and the robber fired a gunshot while running from the area, Crosby said.

No additional details were available in either incident.

Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Brad Dean said Sunday morning’s shooting at Compass Cove was isolated and did not result in any injuries and “is presumed” not to be related to Saturday night’s shooting.

Dean said the chamber is speaking with the media on behalf of Compass Cove – which is a chamber member – to allow resort staff to focus on its guests.

“Most of the guests on site were unaware of what occurred,” Dean said. “The hotel staff was quick to respond and assist any guest with any questions. As of early [Sunday] evening, there has been no trend of cancellations either for existing or future reservations.”

Dean said Compass Cove had private security on site for both shootings.

“I know that they had multiple private security staff on site throughout the weekend,” Dean said.

The shootings come after a violent Memorial Day weekend last year, when three people died and seven were injured in shootings at hotels along Ocean Boulevard. Tens of thousands of people are along the Grand Strand on Memorial Day weekend to take advantage of a three-day weekend at the beach or participate in events such as Atlantic Beach Bikefest.

Police had put several strategies in place to keep tourists and residents safe, including creating a 23-mile traffic loop and placing barricades along the sidewalk to keep pedestrians separate from traffic.

Violence is reported at Ocean Boulevard hotels year-round, including a double-homicide at Landmark Resort in March and an attempted armed robbery and shooting at Summer Sands Motel last week.

Contact MAYA T. PRABHU at 444-1722 or on Twitter @TSN_mprabhu. Contact JASON M. RODRIGUEZ at 626-0301 or on Twitter @TSN_JRodriguez. Contact TONYA ROOT at 444-1723 or on Twitter @tonyaroot.

Related stories from Myrtle Beach Sun News

  Comments