Man sought by police for shooting death of Longs teen surrenders to police
Rodrez Daquell Stanley, 21, of Longs, turned himself in to police Tuesday afternoon, according to Lt. Raul Denis with Horry County Police.
Earlier this week police identified Stanley as a person of interest in the shooting death of Longs teen Taizaun Dewitt.
Denis said Stanley surrendered to authorities Tuesday afternoon for an unrelated arrest warrant.
Horry County police were called about 8:40 p.m. Friday after Taizaun Dewitt was shot. Police were told that he was being taken to Seacoast Coast Medical Center in Little River by another person, Denis said.
That person was an unidentified witness who was driving home from work and heard gunshots on Pint Circle. The witness saw a male walking down some stairs at a residence down the road, reaching the street before he collapsed.
When she recognized the victim, she tried to transport him to Seacoast Sea Coast Medical Center. The witness couldn’t give police an exact address where the incident took place, but did say she saw several people running from the house. Police had issued an alert for Stanley before he turned himself in.
In the Longs area, there have been multiple shootings leaving four men, including Taizaun, dead at four different locations since March 22.
This story was originally published May 4, 2015 at 1:44 PM with the headline "Man sought by police for shooting death of Longs teen surrenders to police."